Toyosport Back box (mgf) WARNING

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Jabwlr
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Toyosport Back box (mgf) WARNING

Post by Jabwlr » Mon May 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Hey all , I don't post very often but I'm hugely thankfully as you guys and gals have helped keep my car going for a couple of years now !

This is more of a warning than an issue as I've solved the issue with a used xpower EXAUST ( sounds awesome as has been said before)

Basically I'd warn against buying a current mk1 toyosport exhaust(mounts on the side) as the jig seems to be out of line. 2 hours from me , an hour from a local EXAUST fitter and alot of bending got the box into the mounts and the cat to line up but the tailpipes realy don't line up.
It may just be the one I got , but it does not bode well combined with other people's longevity issues .
IMG_20160525_212620_814.jpg
IMG_20160521_141334.jpg
IMG_20160521_141328.jpg
We probably could have bent the tailp tailpipes but I was so frustrated with the thing I had already bought the replacement !

I've successfully agreed a return and am awaiting money back , but I would advise against these as others have .

Shame realy as the thing was well finished and the welds were reasonable for the price .......

I have to say though I love the xpower and am a bit glad the Toyo didn't fit
IMG_20160530_174313_272.jpg
I think this belongs in the technical section, as it's a technical matter but if it doesn't please move it :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Toyosport Back box (mgf) WARNING

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 31, 2016 8:15 am

Good heads up - that system fit was appalling. You'd have thought that it would have been made in a jig, but that system looked completely out.

The X-Power system looks amazing! :thumbsu:

Jabwlr

Post by Jabwlr » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:21 pm

Yeah, I'd had my eye on it before I bought the Toyo, should have gone with it to begin with!
Very pleased , screams up high in the revs :) only downside is the reduction in fuel economy caused by its effect on the fleshy component between the drivers seat and steering wheel :P

scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by scruffygit » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:40 pm

I do think the toyos are a bit variable. I have a full system manifold, downpipe and backbox and am really pleased with it. One of the brackets on the back box needed a bit of persuading on fitting but they represent very good value for money. I think my complete system cost less than £250 via couple of eBay auctions. I have no connections with the company.

Sent from my DAGGER DG550 using Tapatalk

Fraserp

Post by Fraserp » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:23 am

Are the Toyos still variable?

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:20 pm

I believe they are now called Toyosport. There was a post on the Register Facebook page earlier today asking a question comparing them against another make.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Notanumber
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:37 am

Is the maker owned by Toyo Tyres (which i have found excellent) or have they just ripped off the name ?

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:53 am

They are nothing to do with Toyo Tyres

Notanumber
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm

Sounds pretty dodgy all round then. I will remember to avoid like the plague

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:10 pm

Hi

I bit the bullet and had a Mike Satur backbox and cat fitted. I already had the front pipe. I wanted quality and oval pipes and stainless steel. It wasn't cheap but I am hoping I got the quality right. The guy doing the fitting said he thought they were quality parts. Mike designed it but it's made by piper.

The sound is louder particularly with narrow streets but keep the revs under 3k and it's fine. So far very satisfied.

Ash

Sent from my S24 Ultra using Tapatalk

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:49 pm

I've lost count of the number of years I have had my Mike Satur system. It's probably got rather louder over time, but it is still fine and performs well :D