obd2 dash display

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

obd2 dash display

Post by flyingbanana » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:06 pm

OK, so I was looking at Torque Android app and then thought why am I using all these gauges and extra wiring in the race car when I could use a cheap android table, bluetooth OBD2 code reader, bluetooth 10hz gps dongle, I can have data logging and real time data from the ecu.
So has anyone else investigated this?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: obd2 dash display

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Yes indeed :D

Also, you could think about a head up display to replace the dials altogether and project the data straight onto the windscreen. A number of options available cheaply on eBay at the moment that plug straight into the EOBD port :D

Here's an example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-STOCK-Car- ... SwWntXM~~2 I can't comment on how well it works, but it seems simple enough. :)

It won't offer data logging though.

I've been nagging Phil (pscan.eu) about telemetry and data logging for a while. The pscan is a tool pure and simple at the moment, but it could be so much more. One option is to link to Harry's lap timer (both Harry and Phil have confirmed that it would be possible to link devices) - or you can use an EOBD blue tooth device to link to your phone/tablet. Harry's laptimer can then also link in video footage with the telemetry data... More here: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Sadly, I need to keep the standard instrument pack for my class in sprint competition...

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Yes indeed :D

Also, you could think about a head up display to replace the dials altogether and project the data straight onto the windscreen. A number of options available cheaply on eBay at the moment that plug straight into the EOBD port :D

Here's an example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-STOCK-Car- ... SwWntXM~~2 I can't comment on how well it works, but it seems simple enough. :)

It won't offer data logging though.

I've been nagging Phil (pscan.eu) about telemetry and data logging for a while. The pscan is a tool pure and simple at the moment, but it could be so much more. One option is to link to Harry's lap timer (both Harry and Phil have confirmed that it would be possible to link devices) - or you can use an EOBD blue tooth device to link to your phone/tablet. Harry's laptimer can then also link in video footage with the telemetry data... More here: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/
ooh I like that Harrys laptimer, could use my old S2 to film as well

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Those HUD units have got cheap, last time I looked they were 10 times the price.

I had a HUD in my MG metro by using a mirror on the steering column and a digital dash out of an early MG Maestro.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:21 pm

I like your idea there James, but yes, these HUDs have become extremely cheap. Moreover, you can use your smart phone as a HUD too, with free down-loadable navagation apps!

Frankly, one of these HUDs will be cheaper than making or buying a rpm/gearchange light - so once I can covert over to MEMS3, I'll probably get one to play with :)

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:29 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Moreover, you can use your smart phone as a HUD too, with free down-loadable navagation apps!
I have a windows phone!
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

malcolm64
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:11 am

So have I but you can get the HUD apps from the windows store as well

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:14 am

What is the period of time that you need to log data for? I will start working on this I think.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:47 am

15 - 20 minutes perhaps?

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:08 am

OK, I've now got a ScanTool OBDLink LX, I've told it I want the oil temp but am getting no reading but I know VVCs output oil temp to the ECU so the question is how do I get it to get the oil temp from the ECU. I've also noted no speed readout, does the ecu get a feed from the speedo head before sending to the dash?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Unfortunately I am not familiar with this particular reader, but it looks quite neat.

The oil temperature that it will attempt to obtain is the generic EOBD output. I am not sure whether this is implemented or not on the Rover system. I'll have a look at the pscan tonight, as there may be a clue there.

Regarding the speed signal - the ECU speed signal is not derived from the gearbox, but rather from the ABS sensor on the rear offside (IIRC) wheel hub. This will need to be connected for you to get that speed signal on your EOBD scanner.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Rob Bell wrote: Regarding the speed signal - the ECU speed signal is not derived from the gearbox, but rather from the ABS sensor on the rear offside (IIRC) wheel hub. This will need to be connected for you to get that speed signal on your EOBD scanner.
Don't know if the Trophy has one and I sort of got rid of the one on the race car...

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:58 pm

Oil temp doesn't show up on my scangauge2 on my ZS180.

On the mk1 F there is an electrical speed signal from the speedo head to the EPAS, on mk2/TF the speed signal comes from the rear nearside ABS sensor even if the car doesn't have ABS.