tar remove help

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
jamjar62
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire

tar remove help

Post by jamjar62 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi All I washed my alloys and got off the brake dust etc , but i have some small tar spots on 2 off the alloys what is the best thing to remove this ? i have read online that petrol on a rag will remove it ,but i,m a bit scared to use this unless other have ......any help ?

nickmitchell38
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MY VVC

Re: tar remove help

Post by nickmitchell38 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi Jamjar62, I use autoglym intensive tar remover. Works a treat and removes petrol stains as well
Nick

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:14 pm

WD40 on a rag or any oily product will do the trick- it basically dilutes the tar down to an oily residue that can just be wiped away.
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:20 pm

in the olden days we used lighter fluid (the stuff for zippos etc) cheap enough at the paper shop