H.U.D

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

H.U.D

Post by Helsbyman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi there play mates
Has anyone bought one of these head up displays they seem a good thing and if you have which one did you get :thumbsu:
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

DanieleT
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Re: H.U.D

Post by DanieleT » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:54 pm

What's that then?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Loads available on the bay of fleas. Tempting aren't they? And pretty cheap these days too.

No idea which is best.

Equally no idea what MoT man might make of the transparent tape you are likely to need to affix to the windscreen.

Also: fad or something useful?

But I am still tempted! :lol:

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:11 pm

I'm definitely tempted too, they do look amazingly cool and as you say Rob they no longer cost the earth.

Along with the fact some can show MPG etc would be nice to have some sort of on board computer
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:33 am

I am not sure that an EU2 MEMS3 will support MPG read out, but most other functions will work. For me, I figured that just having an RPM display on screen might be good for Project Shed (track days etc) - but I'll need to convert to MEMS3 before I can do this.

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks for your replies
Yes they are cheap but £19 -£35 so which to go for ? £19 or £35. The £19 seem to do what the £35 do so I seppose you pays your money and takes your change Ha ho
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:03 pm

No idea! It's pot luck isn't it? Perhaps see whether there is any forum traffic anywhere on the net regarding these HUDs?

apiebyanyothername
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by apiebyanyothername » Thu May 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Helsbyman wrote:Hi there play mates
Has anyone bought one of these head up displays they seem a good thing and if you have which one did you get :thumbsu:
I'm running a HUD/ GPS on my 1999 MGF as I wanted KMPH in nice big numbers ( Radar traps are fierce in this part of France ) as I'm still running on the UK speedo. The French reception MOT don't seem to care how big the KMPH markings are provided they exist! I couldn't find a normal HUD that would work off the diag socket - Mind you neither will my 2003 Picasso. This means I've only got the speedo.If anyone has found a HUD that works off the MGF socket I'm interested!

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu May 25, 2017 11:20 pm

I created a HUD in my MG metro, I fitted a maestro digi dash and then a mirror on the steering column, crude but effective.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com