Lost electrics

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
therat09
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC 1.8I

Lost electrics

Post by therat09 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:42 pm

Can anyone explain this please..whilst driving today the power steering failed the instrument panel also died and the indicators and the windows failed, the windows were obviously stuck down in the rain, the car still run fine although stiff steering, i turned it off ..it restarted it drove but still no power to the mentioned.
I checked all the fuses and the only one that had blown was the instrument panel 10 amp fuse, i refitted a new fuse and everything came back...any ideas...Thanks Steve

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: Lost electrics

Post by daz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Not 100% sure with the mg's but on other car's I've owned if the dash looses power, particularly the ignition (Battery) light, the alternator won't charge the battery, perhaps you were running off the battery & the car was only using essential electrics.

therat09
Model of Car: MGF VVC 1.8I

Post by therat09 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:43 pm

The battery is a good un Daz everything went instantly i only noticed when the steering went heavy, i cant understand why i lost so much from the instrument fuse, all the other functions i lost have their own fuses and all were ok, bit of a Ruth Rendall.
Thanks for the comments Daz i have not a clue if your right ..Thanks Steve

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:19 am

Could be a problem with the ignition switch. I had similar symptoms once and it turned to be a failing switch. Actually in pos 2 there are two switched circuits on the F and TF.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

X10GWR
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by X10GWR » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:17 pm

It could be an indication that the alternator is on its way out. I had similar symptoms, particularly no PAS and the instrument panel going dead (no rev counter), although no blown fuse. Swapped out the alternator and have had no problems since.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Had exactly the same issue about 6 weeks ago on my 2003 TF. Turned out to be the ignition element ~ had to have an auto electrician trace the fault. Warning, with the engine running you may find that you have no brake lights, reversing lights or indicators.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319