Is this the 'end of the road' for our green MGF?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
GJO
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Is this the 'end of the road' for our green MGF?

Post by GJO » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:11 pm

My wife complained that she was unable to select any gears with the engine running. A cursory check suggests that the shaft of the clutch operating lever is seized in the gearbox casing. My local MG Rover repairman has told me that this is a common problem and research through this forum confirms this to be the case. He said that the gearbox would need to come out to effect a repair and that this would cost very much more than the car is worth.

In all honesty, this car has dreadful paintwork (the clear lacquer top coat is blistering all over) but we recently fitted new brake discs and pads all round with new callipers at the rear and it passed its MOT last month, so I am reluctant to scrap it. Any ideas?
Graham
2009 MG TF 135, Radiant Red

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: Is this the 'end of the road' for our green MGF?

Post by Mykel » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:50 am

Yes Graham, common problem. Russell Walsh would be your man then. He can do the job on your drive, replacing the clutch is £395, I’d expect a little extra for freeing up the clutch arm.
http://mgroversolutions.com
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

GJO
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Re: Is this the 'end of the road' for our green MGF?

Post by GJO » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:14 pm

The good news is that, having taken the engine cover off and examined the slave cylinder (which was fitted new in 2014 with a new master cylinder) the lever moves freely and sufficiently to disengage the clutch. The problem appears to have been excessive free movement of the clutch pedal before anything happened. I tried bleeding the system but there were no significant air bubbles. Nevertheless, after pumping out much of the fluid and replacing with new, the clutch action is sufficiently improved to enable the car to be driven again. There is still about an inch or so of free movement on the pedal and, while bleeding the system (I used the two person method this time), the clutch pedal often stuck in the fully depressed position and had to be pulled back which I thought a bit odd. Still (fingers crossed) it may not yet be at the 'end of the road'!
Graham
2009 MG TF 135, Radiant Red