Stepspeed will not start in park but does in neutral

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
croxalldog
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: stepspeed

Stepspeed will not start in park but does in neutral

Post by croxalldog » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:34 am

Advice needed. I have a 2004 stepspeed that will not start in park but will in neutral. No faults show in the diagnostics. All the lights display on the selector. It appears to select park on the box as wheels lock. Lifting the gear stick cover away all cables appear attached and the selector switch looks to be set ok. I understand that this may be a hall affect device and was wondering if there was any way of testing it? Or is there anything else I should try.
All advice gratefully received.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: Stepspeed will not start in park but does in neutral

Post by Mykel » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:58 am

It could be that the selector mechanism is a little bit out of adjustment. You could try and hold the key in the crank position and slowly and slightly move the gear lever back and forth around the park position. Works on mine, when this occurs occasionally. Do the reverse lights switch on?

Oh, and the switch is mechanical, simply driven by a notched plate:
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-23 um 12.00.35.png
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks. When the problem 1st happened moving the gear selector worked, now no joy. The reversing light does illuminate. I had assumed that as the inhibitor switch worked in neutral, there was not a problem with it. I had also assumed a 2 wire system from the switch. Do you know if the switch is looking for contact with the selector when in park or lack of contact? I had assumed lack of contact which left me looking for other feedback mechanisms hence the question about how to test the electronic selector switch. If the selector pushes the switch in I'll try adjusting it.

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Problem sorted. It was the inhibitor switch. Thanks for the help.