Gutted!!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Joolz!
MGF Register Region: North East
Model of Car: TF 160 Sprint

Gutted!!

Post by Joolz! » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:56 pm

Got my 2003 MGV Tf 160 in Aug 2016 with head gasket timing belt and water pump done by Trophy in 2015 the only reason I bought the car thinking I was safe!...and you've guessed it yep looks like head gasket as gone - water in the pistons, talking to my mechanic tonight about my options. Whatever they are I think they will be costly. :thumbsd:

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Gutted!!

Post by talkingcars » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:46 pm

If it's the head gasket the mobile mechanics charge around £400.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:06 am

I can appreciate what you are feeling, when I bought my F in January I was told the water pipes had been done about four years ago. But, sitting in a garage on the seafront has hastened their demise, I'm fitting stainless ones this time. Not as costly as your problem, but I had hoped for a little longer before a major expense.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:31 am

There must be another deeper issue rather than just the head gasket, like the liner 'stick-out'.

These days I believe there are liner shims that can fix that.
Get the head off, check the stick-out and head hardness and don't put anything back together unless it is right.

These engines are great when they are right, but the need to be exactly right or they go bad (IMHO).

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 am

Do not cry too much.
I had a HGF change by a well known Dealer in Loughborough and paid well into 4 figures as it came with a 5 year, 75K HGF Gaurantee. After two years and 7K I left home and saw a cloud of steam in the rear view mirror. It was returned to be fixed. The hg is covered but it was the manifold gasket which is covered for 12 months. Here is a bill for £300+
HGF is commonly identified by oil in the coolant whilst a gasket failure puts coolant in the cylinder. No.4 in my case. Check the gasket first.

Geoff F.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:31 am

So are these professional guys taking a short cut and removing the head with the im still attached?

Gets the job done faster, and it seems gets the customer back in 2 years time.

Joolz!

Post by Joolz! » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:15 pm

Ive got some cool pictures of the stripped head and the valves will post as soon as I can, going for a repair at 1200 (where is the pound sign on an iMac!)
including a new clutch while he's down there

Joolz!

Post by Joolz! » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:35 pm

Max looking super cool
Max looking super cool

John SS
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Joolz! wrote:Ive got some cool pictures of the stripped head and the valves will post as soon as I can, going for a repair at 1200 (where is the pound sign on an iMac!)
including a new clutch while he's down there
£1200???!!! :o :o :o

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:07 am

How much??? Are they rebuilding the engine as well?

Joolz!

Post by Joolz! » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:20 am

yes coolant in the pistons- is that hydraulic lock?
not so cool now huh
not so cool now huh
bottom hanging out
bottom hanging out
internals
internals
innards all over the floor
innards all over the floor