Clutch master cylinder?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
GJO
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Clutch master cylinder?

Post by GJO » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:07 pm

I had a problem at the end of last year, with my older MGF, that I originally and wrongly diagnosed as a seized clutch release arm. Bleeding the clutch seemed to cure the problem but after being off the road for a while I went to start the car and found that the clutch pedal went straight to the floor with minimal resistance. The master cylinder reservoir was drained.
So where could the fluid have gone? Because the pipe connects to the top of the cylinder, I am thinking that it can only have leaked out of the master cylinder itself. The pedal was damp with what I presume to have been hydraulic fluid.

I have removed the master cylinder (which was new less than two years ago) and dismantled it. The inside of the dust cover or boot was also wet with fluid and the outer edge of the lower piston seal has several small erosions on it - in appearance it reminds me of a spent airgun pellet which bears the scars of barrel rifling. The bore of the cylinder looks good, so I am wondering if the 'new' AP master cylinder could have been old stock and the seal has just perished? Old rubber tyres often crack up in the same way.

I have ordered a replacement master cylinder but would it make more sense to fit new seals?
Graham
2009 MG TF 135, Radiant Red

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: Clutch master cylinder?

Post by RobboMC » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37 am

I once rebuilt a master cylinder on a Toyota. They can be very fiddly to build and the small seals are easily damaged.
Was it a genuine part or an aftermarket one?

Most mechanics don't bother as it's faster to just fit a new one.
By all means build one up yourself, you just need to be scrupulously clean and careful and patient.
Oh and get some latex gloves, brake fluid damages your skin.

By the way, can you explain why you have 2 cars?

GJO

Post by GJO » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 am

RobboMC wrote: <snipped>
By the way, can you explain why you have 2 cars?
I like MGFs
Graham

Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:37 am

I had this BUT it was the slave cylinder that was at fault.

GJO

Post by GJO » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Just an update - having replaced the clutch master cylinder all seems as well as it can be and the clutch release arm operates nicely so cannot be seized.

I have dis-assembled the master cylinder that I took off and the seals appear to be shot - as can be seen from the close-up image below which shows one of the seals. This is from a Clutch Master Cylinder that I fitted two years ago having purchased it "brand new" from a trusted supplier. The lesson learned is that many MGF/TF spares are no longer "brand new" and may have been in storage for ten years or more. In future I will always obtain and fit new seals - the cylinder bore is 0.625" and the seals are probably common to a wide range of vehicles . . .

Graham

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:32 pm

RobboMC wrote:By the way, can you explain why you have 2 cars?
Until Christmas I had a TF135, a mk1 VVC and a mk1 1.8i, now down to just the mk1's.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

GJO

Post by GJO » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Just worth adding that when bleeding the master cylinder it is a sensible precaution to wear protective eye glasses. I managed to shower myself with fluid!
Graham