Faint fuel smell

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Fourbears
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Faint fuel smell

Post by Fourbears » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Right just got the TF on the road this week after doing a few (!) bits to it - none engine/fuel related. Anyhow I get a faint petrol smell if I use a large throttle opening which seems slightly strange to me. Since I have had the hood down each time I am not sure if it is unburnt petrol from the exhaust or something else. Just to add to the issue I have a lumpy idle but plan to change the plugs which may sort this out. In all other respects the engine runs fine just this smell is odd. Any ideas??? (It has just passed the MOT with no emission issues).

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Faint fuel smell

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Check that the breather hole on the fuel cap isn't blocked. If you unlock the fuel cap after a drive do you get a big rush of air? This will give an indication ~ as you use fuel the space should be replaced by air; if the hole is blocked air can't get in.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Fourbears
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Fourbears » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:04 pm

Don't know asI haven't done many miles in it. It happens under acceleration and not when stationary. Presumably it is easy to clean the vent in the cap?

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:24 am

Fourbears wrote:Don't know asI haven't done many miles in it. It happens under acceleration and not when stationary. Presumably it is easy to clean the vent in the cap?

Just poke it with a pin or abit of wire.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 am

Interesting...I also have a faint petrol smell and when I open the petrol cap there is a rush off air so the hole on my fuel cap must be blocked...I didn't even know there was one but I will clear it and see if that helps!

Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:20 pm

The tank is supposed to be sealed and has a release valve, it is normal to have pressure released when opening the cap
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page