Overheating again

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Overheating again

Post by Andrew Regens » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:43 am

Well last weekend was hot, 35C. All through the motorkhana event some nine events the temp gauge stayed just below half way. All the fans seemed to be working as I had the aircon on. Drove the 12KM home most on the free way at 100kmh. Drove up the drive parked in the garage turned the engine off.The fans at the rear started then the water started to erupt from under the car all down the drive, water seemed to be coming from the expansion tank.
The hoses are new as is the expansion tank, the radiator was flushed out, new water pump all done l8 months and two thousand KM's ago when head gasket replaced.

Filled up with 600ml of water 24 hours later went for a 20km blast water temp showing normal but when turned of gurgled away but without dumping any water.
I did not bleed the system when I topped up the water.....next job but thats all i can think of.

The sump does not have any water in it so its not a head gasket.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

miker33
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF

Re: Overheating again

Post by miker33 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:09 am

That's exactly how mine behaved (having had the same work completed about 2yrs earlier) and I had hoped it was just the expansion cap.

In my case it was HGF in the end, confirmed by sniffer test, just letting very small amounts of exhaust gasses past very slowly until it built up enough to cause an air trap in the head then the overheating snowball effect which was worse after switch off (I haven't stripped that engine as yet but expect the head was cooked previously leaving the alloy too soft around the fire rings causing the 2nd failure).

Usually could go for about 30mins of driving before it showed any sign of problems and could leave it running on the driveway for hrs and it would not show any signs of an issue.

Unless the pressure was released due to an overheat scenario the water level would stay the same and it never started rough due to water in cylinders, had oil in water or water in oil symptom and temp never went over half.
2001 MG TF 135
1979 Mini Clubman Estate http://www.twinenginemini.co.uk

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks for that. The original head gasket was replace in 2006 at 30000KM then as mentioned above when it had traveled 61000KM.
I do have a spare head but was used in a race F, which could have been well cooked!!!
Will have to try the sniffer test...............
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:14 am

Get that head tested before fitting.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:46 am

Don't worry I will, but I'm hopeful the original will be okay

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Well looking for leaks, pressure testing, bleeding and the fault seems to be the cap on the tank. The cap was replaced less than twelve months ago.
After various trips the longest 20km all seems well. Fingers crossed and see what happens when I take it on a long run over the weekend....

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Driving an MGF there are only few spare parts you cannot do without: a spare cap of the expansion tanks, the top plug of the radiator and a temperature sensor.

The first two have been very useful on the road, helping others and myself too. The third one I lacked once in Luxembourgh....
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Andrew Regens wrote:Well looking for leaks, pressure testing, bleeding and the fault seems to be the cap on the tank. The cap was replaced less than twelve months ago.
After various trips the longest 20km all seems well. Fingers crossed and see what happens when I take it on a long run over the weekend....
Fingers crossed it's as simple as that Andrew :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Well it seems it was the cap.

Have just completed a weekend of super sprints and hill climbs, water temp gauge stayed in correct position.

Tyres Toyo R8888R were superb, agreat weekend

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Andrew Regens wrote:Well it seems it was the cap.

Have just completed a weekend of super sprints and hill climbs, water temp gauge stayed in correct position.

Tyres Toyo R8888R were superb, agreat weekend
That's good to know Andrew :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/