MGF 15 inch tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: MGF 15 inch tyres

Post by RobboMC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 am

bobvvc wrote:This is probably no help to you Robbo but I have just had a set of Falkens of the correct size fitted and it has transformed it I hope you can get a set down under
It seems Falken have realized there's a market down under for these sizes and put a couple of handfuls of 205/50's into their warehouse.

So now I have the choice of uhm Falken or Falken. Sadly Toyo have done the opposite and discontinued the T1R's altogether.
The replacement ( R1R ) is probably a great tyre but if it's not made in the correct size it's useless.

bobvvc, how are your Falken's going?
I assume they are 914's?

bobvvc
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by bobvvc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 am

Still going strong Robbo even more impressed with them in the rain did you find some?

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:46 am

Yes indeed, seems that sets of the proper size Falken 914's are now available here. Now it's up to the owners to buy enough of the stock to maintain the need for stock.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 am

Got my Falkens fitted and you are absolutely correct bobvvc and it completely transforms the car. The steering comes alive and the back sticks much better. Once I get the hang of the new set up it will be much more enjoyable.

I little less sticky than the Chinese tyres I had, but overall a better car to drive.

And with a quick Hydragas pump up it's now ready for another 2 years of fun.

bobvvc
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by bobvvc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:38 pm

I think i should become a pr guru for Falken tyres!

paul_mgb
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by paul_mgb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:29 am

I've got the Falkens on my 05 MY TF with 15" wheels - great grip in wet and dry and less tramlining that the OE continentals. The back wore out in 15k ordinary road miles so have replaced them. Front look pretty good though and I'm expecting that all four will need replacing in another 15k miles. Falkens not as cheap as they were, Toyos now cheaper. I always use Longbridge tyres to fit but always barter after pricing them on Black Circles. Balance and front tracking free but they now have a 4 wheel alignment facility. Don't know how much they charge for that.