Sunburn On Dashboard

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MehmetPerdeci
MGF Register Region: Europe

Sunburn On Dashboard

Post by MehmetPerdeci » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:11 am

Hello friends. I can't be sure that's a technical question or not. Maybe someone faced this issue before. I've 1996 MGF. I left my car under sunlight long time. I mean almost all summer time on parking area of my office. After I realized in time there's a sun burn on the dashboard. Not fading or turning white. It's darker color than original dashboard color and you can't feel when you touch it. It's both side of MG logo and down to cd player. At the begining it was very small but it gets bigger day by day. I've use some known care lotions for dashboard but no way. Do you have any solution about that? I watched some videos on youtube and someone using a heating machine. But they're doing all for fading plastic colors in to white. Not for burnt dash. Thank you.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Sunburn On Dashboard

Post by talkingcars » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:15 am

Sounds unusual, do you have any photos?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Mehmet - the first solution that comes to mind to stop further damage would be to purchase one of the reflective protectors that go inside your windscreen when parked?

Great for keeping the inside of the car cooler too but could most likely be positioned to keep the worst of the sun off of your dash
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

MehmetPerdeci

Post by MehmetPerdeci » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 pm

@talkincars : I'll put a picture tomorrow. I can't find time to take photo.

@RSRS92 : Actually I've a protector and I'm using it already. But I think it's not about direct sunlight now. It's some like infection on dash. Dash did not exposed sunlight for long time. I can't find anything about that on youtube or info on internet. That's really strange. There're two way on my mind to resolve. I'm thinking to use sand on small piece of stain to see what'll be happen. Or maybe I can paint the stain but I don't know the exact code and kind of paint on dash. It's not black. It's some grayish.

MehmetPerdeci

Post by MehmetPerdeci » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Hello guys. I'm adding pictures. Is there anyway to resolve this stains?

Middle

Passanger side

MehmetPerdeci

Post by MehmetPerdeci » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Hello guys. Any suggestions about that?

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Strange - maybe a silicon polish to feed the plastic?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com