Buying an MGF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Buying an MGF

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:01 am

Hi all,

I'm just buying a cheapish MGF VVC from Plymouth, intending to drive it back to London. The ride height is too low, and the suspension is rock hard. From what I've read, that seems to mean the nitrogen spheres need valves inserting and recharging, but pumping in some more hydragas fluid will at least raise the ride height.

First up, is it pretty much essential/highly recommended to get that done before driving a couple of hundred miles back to London? Is it even safe to drive as-is? How much should a pump-up cost?

Secondly, how would I tell for sure whether the cars been lowered (properly, not just releasing the pressure)? I understand there are modified knuckles available, but I don't know how they look different. Chances are slim it's been modified, right? Much more likely that a sub £1k car has problems than upgrades, I assume.
Finally (for now), the brakes are a bit soft. Internet says MGF brakes aren't the greatest, any suggestions how I can tell whether these are as they should be - in which case it's upgrade time - or need work? [Edit: Seller is paying to fix the brakes after that came up as an MOT fail. I guess I'll find out when I drive it again.]

TIA for all your help - and thanks for all the information on here that's already come in handy when buying, knowing what sort of problems to look for. MGFs seem to have owner support networks like nothing else, that's one of the things that helped me decide to buy.
Last edited by BodgeItAndScarper on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Buying an MGF

Post by talkingcars » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

Why are you travelling that far for a car, there are plenty of MGFs available nearer to home.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Well, because reasons. My in-laws live down here, so I brought the wife for a visit and went to look at a car. Plus it seems a good deal to me because I'll feel good about the price for it the whole time I own it, while forgetting all about the additional costs and hassle involved in collecting it :)

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Here is a link to the Hydragas Register which will list garages by county equiped to do suspension pump. http://hydragas.co.uk/

I would get the suspension sorted before heading anywhere, not only can the low height cause handling problems but the potential to damage the car further and more money to rectify exists. If you have a facebook account there are a number of dedicated MGF/TF groups including the MGF Register and you may find your questions more quickly answered on facebook.

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 am

Thanks, that's what I thought. Although judging by the state of the tyres it's done a few thousand miles that low already, so hopefully not too much has been damaged.

I checked the register and contacted the two nearest garages to where the car is - but of course no-one's answering the phone on a Sunday. Can anyone tell me roughly how long a pump-up takes? Is it generally a while-you-wait service or a leave-the-car-with-them-for-a-day service?

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:46 am

Oh, and one more thing - apologies if I've missed a thread on it. What are the recommended tyres for an F? I see that Toyo Proxes and Kumho Ecstas seem a reasonable sort of price, but if there's something much better out there I'd rather spend a few quid more now than regret it until I wear out this set of tyres.

Edit: well, I only had one option anyway - cheapo ditchfinders for free, or pay the difference for Continentals. I went for the Continentals because the cost to upgrade is a lot less than the cost of ending up in a ditch :)
Last edited by BodgeItAndScarper on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:48 am

With regard to tyres only take notice of replies about MGF and not TF, because of the different suspension types. On my three previous MGF i had Goodyear which are no longer available/suitable for F/TF. There has been issues with Toyo, in that mixing Toyo of different country of manufacture causes handling problems, but I think this more a TF than an F issue. Falkens get good reports but again be sure that relates to MGF. it's quite a big subject so the more research/feedback you can get the better. Also be aware that tyres on both F and TF are sensitive to pressure. You starting point is the recommended pressures but then may need adjustng. Yesterday i dropped the pressures on my TF rear tyres from 36 psi ( handbook recommended)to 34 psi (Continental tyres) after advice and it seemed much improved.

The suspenion pump up is while you wait time wise, but some garages don't like customers hovering around. Be familiar with the correct suspension ride height settings (measure from wheel centre to base of the wing wheel arch, cannot recall distances google search will throw it up) because some garages can over 'inflate' system. Also some settling down might occur after road use, but of course this might also indicate a leak.

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks again. Is there an updated definitive set of tyres recommendations I'm missing somewhere? The trouble is finding recommendations that aren't from 10 years ago.

"some garages don't like customers hovering around."

That's fine by me, I just wanted to know if I would need to allow a whole day for the pump-up. Hopefully I can pre-book somewhere.

"Be familiar with the correct suspension ride height settings"

368mm +/- 10mm @ 17c.

Thanks for your help, I'll try and contact those garages again today.

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:46 pm

viewtopic.php?t=20030

This is mostly TF comment, but the occasional F comment. Maybe contact the tyre dealer in Southend that Adrian Clifford mentions (May 5 2015) on page 2 for advice.

A lot of tyre comment was also featured on the facebook pages but finding older pages is difficult.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:04 pm

Obviously the lower the car is the longer it takes but it shouldn't take more than an hour for a pump up.

Lots of info here
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 am

Yeah my guy took about 2 hours to do mine which I thought was fair as it showed he was allowing time for the System to settle once pumped up to allow for a check before giving the car back to me

Letting the system settle is very important and a step id make sure they are doing

I pray for you that the hydragas spheres are all in good shape, so far I've been lucky but a mod any F owner should bear in mind is sending the spheres off to have schrader valves fitted and to be refilled with nitrogen, about £400 for the set of 4 I believe
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 am

A pump-up cost me £48 it took less than an hour and mine was completely flat as I'd bled the system when installing regassed spheres.

I'd highly recommend doing this they cost £350 for a set and vastly improves the ride!

I don't think you could tell whether the cars been lowered properly as you have to fit lowering knuckles which are hideden inside the spheres.

With regards to brakes you should change the fluid if it hasn't been done in the last 2 years. Also it's worth fitting stainless braided hoses which stretch less. Finally a brake servo support bracket would improve things further.

I have Toyo Proxy tyres and think they're great, you can pick them up cheap on eBay if you keep your eye out.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:37 am

To check if lowering knuckles are fitted you need to pump the suspension to a given pressure and measure the height. I recollect that this is 400 psi however someone will tell you the details before you try.
Geoff F

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 am

Exactly as Geoff says - if the hydragas cone has been shortened, or lowering knuckles have been fitted, then the final ride height when you have 400psi of pressure in the system will be the clearest evidence you need without having to look at the suspension in any detail. Lowered cars typically sit at around 340mm (front wheel centre to wheel arch lip vertically above), whereas, as standard, that height is around 360-370mm.

With a bit of experience, it is possible to tell whether lowering pins have been fitted: the rubber boot is more compressed than on standard knuckle pins - but without a standard car to compare it would be quite a challenge to tell! :)

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:05 am

RSR92 wrote:Yeah my guy took about 2 hours to do mine which I thought was fair as it showed he was allowing time for the System to settle once pumped up to allow for a check before giving the car back to me

Letting the system settle is very important and a step id make sure they are doing

I pray for you that the hydragas spheres are all in good shape, so far I've been lucky but a mod any F owner should bear in mind is sending the spheres off to have schrader valves fitted and to be refilled with nitrogen, about £400 for the set of 4 I believe
Oh, that's important advice - I'll make sure to ask them about letting it settle.

I'm hopeful the gas spheres aren't so much too low that the ride won't at least soften a bit after the system's pumped up, but I'm sort of expecting to have to do something in that line at some point.

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:06 am

talkingcars wrote:
Lots of info here
Thanks, that's a really useful link. Somehow my googling had failed to turn it up.

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:11 am

Rob Bell wrote:Exactly as Geoff says - if the hydragas cone has been shortened, or lowering knuckles have been fitted, then the final ride height when you have 400psi of pressure in the system will be the clearest evidence you need without having to look at the suspension in any detail. Lowered cars typically sit at around 340mm (front wheel centre to wheel arch lip vertically above), whereas, as standard, that height is around 360-370mm.

With a bit of experience, it is possible to tell whether lowering pins have been fitted: the rubber boot is more compressed than on standard knuckle pins - but without a standard car to compare it would be quite a challenge to tell! :)
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know - although not what I wanted the answer to be.

ISTR that this car sits about 340mm or so, from when I measured it the other day. But I really have trouble believing it's been lowered the right way :)

I'll have a word with the garage I found to pump it up, hopefully they'll a) know what to look for and b) check the pressure against height and make sure. Is it possible to pump a lowered car up too high and get the normal ride-height? Don't want to do that by mistake.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Is it possible to pump a lowered car up too high and get the normal ride-height? Don't want to do that by mistake.
Yes, but you'd need probably 500+psi to achieve that with lowering knuckles. I've known that mistake to have been perpetrated before... :o

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Rob Bell wrote:
Is it possible to pump a lowered car up too high and get the normal ride-height? Don't want to do that by mistake.
Yes, but you'd need probably 500+psi to achieve that with lowering knuckles. I've known that mistake to have been perpetrated before... :o
Ouch, I'll make sure to mention it to them in that case. I don't know how many MGFs they see, hopefully enough that they'll know what to look for anyway.

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Picked the car up today, drove it to Meca Services in Exeter (recommended by the Hydragas register) who pumped it up for me. Terrifying on the main road between Plymouth and Exeter, handled just fine after it was pumped up an inch or two.

Rear screen was foggier than San Francisco, but is polishing up a treat with a bit of T-Cut. I noticed that the hood doesn't fit very well at the front of the base, where it meets the doors. Is that a common problem? Looked like the hood had shrunk back a little, it might be fixable with a bit of ingenuity if that's the case, but I wondered if there's an adjustment I'm missing?

The car still seems under-braked to me. What are the simple upgrades with 15" wheels? I see on the googles that a servo bracket is a good place to start. Will it make any real difference?