MG TF : deactivate power steering

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ppo
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe

MG TF : deactivate power steering

Post by ppo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:42 pm

Had the chance to drive an mk1 Elise and found the steering and the feedback from the direction a lot better compared to the TF. For me the difference is mosly due to the fact, that the Elise has no power steering.
Am I correct presuming the TF power steering is an electric one and independent from speed. So it should be possible to activate or desactivate the power steering with the help of a simple switch, or would I need some other parts?
Thanks for feedback.

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Re: MG TF : deactivate power steering

Post by RSR92 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Wait until someone else confirms but from memory you can just pop the fuse out
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:05 pm

You could just pull the fuse but that will bring the dash warning light, the circuit you need from the good Doctors site is here: http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DI ... bypass.htm

This should work for the TF up until 2003MY (model year) and may still work after that point as the electrical systems and loom changed for 2004MY

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks a lot. I'll first pull the fuse and drive the TF for a while. If the effect meets my expectations, I'll put the permanent solution with the bypass in place. Thanks a lot.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Good idea!

For Project Shed, I went the whole hog and ditched the all EPAS hardware and fitted a non-EPAS steering column (surprisingly difficult to find!). Saved over 6kg in weight in the process though. :)

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:44 pm

But isn't the EPAS speed sensitive anyway?

My understanding is that it is deactivated at speeds above 30 mph, hence the connection to the EPAS ECU from the speed sensor..

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:11 pm

@Rob
That would be the ultimate solution. By chance, you don't have a serial number handy of the non-EPAS steering column?

@Tipper
To be honest I'm not sure if it desactivates automaticaly. Compared to an Elise, the steering on my TF needs no effort at any speed and the feedback could be better. By the way, I still have the spare wheel in the front boot.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:00 am

My understanding of it is that the steering ratio was reduced from the non-EPAS cars making it more direct when EPAS was fitted.

I have driven my F without the fuse and it works fine, just damn heavy to park. For track days I am seriously considering running without the fuse in.
I suppose it depends how often you go to the shops compared to open highway driving.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember from somewhere that the TF steering ratio is one step more direct that the F
so it could get quite heavy.

However I do just love the instant steering response when you flick the car the other way at 20 mph and the power steering does the hard work for you.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:20 am

The Shed runs the even faster TF rack with a non-EPAS steering column :) I use sticky tyres too, but the car does weigh a little less than standard, so I don't find that the steering loads are too bad. But yes, it reminds me of an early 90s hot hatch (I had a Mk2 Golf GTI and a Peugeot 205 GTi back in the day) to park!

I don't think I do have the part number ppo - but have a look at one of the electronic parts catalogues to see whether you can find it...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:23 am

Oh, and yes, EPAS is speed sensitive, and supposedly switches off at over about 50mph, but there is a discernible difference between the EPAS being on and being actually switched off by cutting the power - I wonder whether although the EPAS column motor is not actually "assisting" at speed, it probably turns with a steering input so as not to drag - and this "non-assistance" damps the feel through the column.

BTW, easily the biggest change to steering feel I found was swapping the MGF steering rack for the TF one. There is much less "slack" in the TF rack - manufactured with tighter tolerances perhaps? No idea...

Kasper
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Did the trick, mentioned by Chris, of an EPAS switch over a dozen years ago, and you're right Pascal, the feeling in the steering is a lot better without EPAS.
Using the switch and a relais stops the red light from shining in your face all the time in contrast to detaching the fuse. Finding a spare place for the switch might be more of a problem on a car that has all extras fitted from new. Mine is hidden on the left side under the steering column.

MIND: On an F there are downsides to eliminating EPAS that will be even bigger on a TF: The early non EPAS F's had a different ratio in the steering rack compared to the F. they need more rotations of the steering wheel to make the same turn. Lateron the TF even had a more direct steering. If you eliminate EPAS it will result in a more heavy steering.
I appreciate the direct non-EPAS steering a lot but on hairpins it does slow you down as the strength and power you need to turn the car is to big to be fast enough. (MGF Mk1) So on some of your Fantastic Luxembourg roads you'll regret switching EPAS off. On other stretches...... WOW!
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks Kasper for your feedback. I did a test without the fuse and the steering was amazing. I'll defenately try to get the circuit working.