Immobiliser - help required!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Alan D.
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: TF160, TF135, MGF, +

Immobiliser - help required!

Post by Alan D. » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:43 am

As anyone who knows me will attest, technical I'm not!
I recently bought my 10th F/TF. It was a bit of a punt for £300 with expired MOT so I wasn't expecting much and I'm prepared to take the hoops, hardtop and other parts off and scrap it. However the car is in good condition with little that a good clean and polish won't fix inside or out.
PROBLEM: Although it had only one key/broken fob, the vendor did get it started eventually after about 39 minutes of pressing buttons, it ran fine and has only done 51k. I had it trailered home and then the fun began.
I took its battery out to charge and took a fully charged one from another TF then I bought new key fob batteries. I took the innards from the duff fob and swapped with one from the other car. Then I thought I'll just replace the battery in the other one for that car while I'm at it. So, now neither car will start even though both have fully charged batteries and new key fob batteries. I inadvertently created a situation where both cars had a period where both the key fob and immobiliser were not connected to batteries at the same time and they appear to have forgotten each other. (No I haven't mixed up the fobs). I can't connect the battery on either car without the alarm going off with no way to stop the alarm except to disconnect the battery. This happened two weeks ago and I'm rapidly getting to the point of scrapping the two of them.
Any help would be appreciated, the latest purchase was pushed into a neighbouring garage that 1st morning and they muttered about the auto-electrician but after 2 weeks they've not even looked at it.

NB: Don't worry, the Aurora 160 is not involved in this fiasco!
One can never have too many MG's :sf:

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Immobiliser - help required!

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:49 am

The alarms are the horns. Disconnect them. Or the alarm will sound if set and the bonnet is opened. Disconnect the switch by the RH hinge.
There is a procedure to reset the fobs by repeatedly pressing the lock and unlock buttons. There is a quoted number of times however keep doing it until something happens (or doesn't ).
The Emergency Key Access Code is a 4 digit code which is entered by RH and LH turns of the key. This turns off the Immobiliser/ Alarm. The code was in the original vehicle documentation but may be still available. See "Radio Codes" under "Traders" on this site.
Geoff F

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Had a similar issue last year when I bought a car and it was delivered without a battery. Fitted a new battery after a couple of days but the alarm sounded (which after it was disconnected) allowed the car to run for a second before cutting out. Eventually had it recovered to a garage who hooked it up to a T4 and reset the immobiliser. I understand this could also be reset with a pscan.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Alan D.

Post by Alan D. » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'm guessing if I can supply the vin number I can get the code to use the key in the ignition method? Hopefully that will get my existing car going again and I may even have the code somewhere. I'll need to wait for the V5 for the recent purchase but I guess it should arrive soon. I think he said the remote central locking and drivers window weren't working so that may complicate things or perhaps that's just a fuse issue

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon May 01, 2017 12:01 am

The vin number should be on the car.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Alan D.

Post by Alan D. » Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Well, I think I can safely claim the title of Dumb Ass of the month!

I've fixed both cars after 6 weeks of head scratching. How? I put the key fob batteries in the right way up! Pmsl

Slinks off in shame...

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 pm

It's always the simplest of things which you should check first... You won't make that mistake again!
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319