re maps M,chester

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

re maps M,chester

Post by Helsbyman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:53 pm

I was on another forum and another subject but it came up that this chap said he had a rolling road and did we want to do a shot out any Sunday . So I told him of my problem re my 160 TF showing a low power out put and he invited me to his r/r today [ Sunday 30/4 ] Well we put my car on the r/r and it made 130 at the wheels. Then he said he could read my remap which I got done 10-11 yrs ago and paid ££££££ for it There was NO remap my car had the std MG/ROVER map. So I agreed to have one of his remaps, the 130 is now 139 and the torque is 15FtLb more and he charges £150 I think he said for a remap NOT BAD. He writes his own soft wear and has an MGZS vvc and is MG mad
Don't for get he is available on Sundays for shot outs if 3-7 of us would like to go
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: re maps M,chester

Post by daz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:10 pm

That's good going, who is it? I may be interested as my next move is a remap

c13amb
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:50 pm

Can he compete with Z&F they are supposed to be the best ! Hope so paid £200 for mine about 18 months ago..
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Helsbyman wrote:I was on another forum.....
Are there any other forums?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Helsbyman

Post by Helsbyman » Mon May 01, 2017 9:01 am

talkingcars wrote:
Helsbyman wrote:I was on another forum.....
Are there any other forums?
1 or 2 YES :)
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Mon May 01, 2017 9:12 am

If you paid to have a remap done, and now it has been found you have standard ecu, was a remap never done in the first place? If so can you alert us to who it was, especially if they are a popular choice.

Is the the rolling road/remap offer by somebody in Chester?

Helsbyman

Post by Helsbyman » Mon May 01, 2017 5:20 pm

the NEW r/r remap is Manchester Dave, and the one that was a rip off was Scotland 10-11yrs ago they did mess about and it was a remap which was available for all makes of cars, they just clicked the MG logo on there computer but as I said it made no difference
This chap just put a generic map on my car which was for a vvc and it made 10bhp/15ftlbs if he had spent time on my car these figures would be higher

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Mon May 01, 2017 9:27 pm

OK thanks for replying. A Double S stainless exhaust, followed by a remap were the two mods I was considering but I am no great rush.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 02, 2017 4:53 pm

This sounds interesting! How do you contact Manchester Dave? Does he have a website? And does he do RR tuning?

Mark Stacey is the guy most of us are familiar with (formerly Zandftuning, now kmaps). Generic K-series maps, plus RR tuning where required :)

Larry Nicoll
Model of Car: MG TF

Post by Larry Nicoll » Tue May 16, 2017 12:40 pm

I have just had my ECU remapped by KMaps (Mark Stacy) at £239. It certainly makes for a smoother drive, pulls away more easily, and appears to have eliminated the F/TF 'hesitation' issue. It has also added (at no extra cost) an optional crackle and pop on gear change / deceleration, which is personal taste.
It does all go rather well with the Mike Satur 4:2:1 manifold and exhaust system previously fitted, which probably made the most significant difference both in terms of performance and 'sound track'! Together with a foam panel air filter the engine does breath more easily and I suspect the remap makes the most of this.
I also found the accelerator cable can get a bit pinched under the wadding and finish panel on the rear shelf which made for a bit of a jerky pull away at times.
I am now considering repositioning the air intakes but cant find any hard information on the advantages of changing these.
I also have a Mike Satur shroud for the radiator and (although it sounds rather mad) am thinking of restricting the air flow through the bumper a little as more of the available air will actually pass through the radiator. This should reduce the amount of air passing under the car and hopefully reduce lift, but will experiment with it and see if there is any benefit in it.
MGTF : 2005; 15" wheels; 280mm discs all round; servo brace; Mike Satur gear change; Mike Satur 4:2:1 manifold; sports cat; Daytona silencer; KMaps remap

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Tue May 16, 2017 3:15 pm

If you want to seriously reduce front end lift... then something like this would be interesting:

And yes, for the keen eyes amongst you, it is ;)

Larry Nicoll

Post by Larry Nicoll » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks,
that would be a completely different car then!
:D
MGTF : 2005; 15" wheels; 280mm discs all round; servo brace; Mike Satur gear change; Mike Satur 4:2:1 manifold; sports cat; Daytona silencer; KMaps remap

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue May 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Larry Nicoll wrote:......and (although it sounds rather mad) am thinking of restricting the air flow through the bumper a little as more of the available air will actually pass through the radiator. This should reduce the amount of air passing under the car and hopefully reduce lift, but will experiment with it and see if there is any benefit in it.
That will only work if you vent through the bonnet as the normal flow from the rad is under the car.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Larry Nicoll

Post by Larry Nicoll » Wed May 31, 2017 1:11 pm

Yes that is true, however if you reduce the air entering the inlets in the front bumper there will be less air exiting under the car.

If the reduced air flow is directed more effectively through the radiator rather than being allowed to flow around it and under it, it will produce the same cooling effect, that's the theory!