Mgf auto

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rac steve
MGF Register Region: South East

Mgf auto

Post by Rac steve » Sat May 13, 2017 6:37 pm

I have a 2000 MGF auto , should the dash show D when in drive , as I have a gear box fault light on , it dose not change gear in auto mode , but it dose in manual mode and the gear number comes up on the clocks in manual mode , I have tried cleaning the plugs on the gear box , it was fine until I replaced the head gasket , I brought it with the gasket gone , still derived fine but over heated ,

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Mgf auto

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 15, 2017 1:58 pm

I think the question is why the automatic gearbox is not shifting when in drive (but is shifting in manual mode) - I presume that the problems with overheating have been solved?

I am no expert on the CVT, but I do know that these gearboxes are very particular regarding the oil used in them: do NOT use traditional automatic transmission fluid! It has to be a CVT fluid: Esso (or Mobil) EZL 799 CVT Fluid. This stuff is also available from Rimmer Bros. :)

I'll move the query to technical where hopefully it'll get more exposure to those who know more about these gearboxes than I :)

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 pm

No "D" suggests failure of the "Rainbow"selector switch in the gear lever selector.
You will need to remove the center cubby box to gain access. Thr front screw is easy however for the rear you may need to drill the surround to gain a straight access. Removal of the electrical connector is difficult but the switch can be stripped for cleanig by removing the self tapping screws.
A new switch is a rediculous price of £180. In 2006, an ex MG Dealership put a complete lever assembly including accessories (solenoid, switches etc.) on E-Bay. I offered the starting price of £50 which was the only bid.
I believe a BMW MINI switch can be used at aboit £80 with a little modification.
Geoff.F

Rac steve

Post by Rac steve » Sun May 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Rob Bell wrote:I think the question is why the automatic gearbox is not shifting when in drive (but is shifting in manual mode) - I presume that the problems with overheating have been solved?

I am no expert on the CVT, but I do know that these gearboxes are very particular regarding the oil used in them: do NOT use traditional automatic transmission fluid! It has to be a CVT fluid: Esso (or Mobil) EZL 799 CVT Fluid. This stuff is also available from Rimmer Bros. :)

I'll move the query to technical where hopefully it'll get more exposure to those who know more about these gearboxes than I :)
The gear box worked fine before the head gasket blow that's all done now ,

Miccon
MGF Register Region: Canada
Model of Car: MGF1.8 Mpi

Post by Miccon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:20 am

My guess is that you may have mismatched loom connections when refitting
The gearbox connector close to where the coolant hoses connect is the same pattern as one of the connections at the back of the throttle body
Try swapping them over, There is not a lot of difference in loom length and they are easy to switch inadvertently
MGTD (51) MGB's 76 -81, MGF1.8i, TR4, TR7.....etc