MGF Trophy Hydragas Spheres Repaired - Brilliant!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Phil Jay
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

MGF Trophy Hydragas Spheres Repaired - Brilliant!

Post by Phil Jay » Sat May 13, 2017 6:59 pm

I just collected my Trophy 160 back from Prestige MG. I've had all 4 hydragas units refurbished and re-charged with nitrogen and I can't believe what a difference it has made to the handling. Before the handling was really twitchy. It just didn't feel terribly safe at speed, always 'nervous' if you know what I mean. Now the handling is sharp again and the car feels really 'planted' on the road. It still has the trade mark Trophy firm ride, but it's so much better than before.
Ian Kennedy of Hydragas Suspension did the recharge and Prestige MG refurbished the externals back to 'as new' condition.
I'm well happy with the result :D
Knowing that Trophy spheres are in short supply, this seems to be a brilliant and cost effective way of sorting the problem.

jaapaap1111
MGF Register Region: Europe

Re: MGF Trophy Hydragas Spheres Repaired - Brilliant!

Post by jaapaap1111 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Congratulations. We can shake hands as I have done this also last weeks. Just finished the job last Sunday and the ride is really superb. As well sharp in control as comfortable regarding handling the holes and bumps of the road. I had my brother in law weld the Schrader valves on (same as used for the hydragas). I had a classic citroen dealer pumping up the nitrogen. Have a nice summer!

jonbaker
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by jonbaker » Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Another thumbs up from me too. Spheres regassed last August and transformed the ride back to the old magic carpet of nearly 29 years ago.

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am

I'd really like to get this done too. Does anyone know if there's a way to do it without removing the spheres from the car?

jaapaap1111

Post by jaapaap1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:12 am

That will be impossible as the valves must be welded to the spheres.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm

jaapaap1111 wrote:That will be impossible as the valves must be welded to the spheres.
Is there no room to weld them in situ? That's what I was wondering about. Seems like it would make the whole job enough easier to be worth a bit of faffing around.

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Fri May 19, 2017 3:35 pm

How long does this process take, I think I need to get it done at some point and even though this outfit is 3 hours away, it might be worth a trip if they know what they are doing :)

Bazzajay
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sat May 20, 2017 12:30 am

Those of us with Hydrogas suspended Fs will all need to get it done at some time. MG Rover gave their cars a designed life of 15 years. This also applied to the displacers, though there is always a certain amount of leeway in the timing. Citroen, who had been using spheres, which worked on the same principle as the displacers, had always allowed for re-charging with nitrogen.

At the beginning of next month, my own F, 88,000 miles and 17 years old is having its displacers removed by a local garage, they will then be sent to Hydrosuspension in Telford ( see p20 of 'FasT Forward' No 46 ) for re-charge and return. I'm looking forward to the improvement in the ride, as it's really rather too firm at present.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Phil Jay
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by Phil Jay » Sat May 20, 2017 7:56 pm

BodgeItAndScarper wrote:
jaapaap1111 wrote:That will be impossible as the valves must be welded to the spheres.
Is there no room to weld them in situ? That's what I was wondering about. Seems like it would make the whole job enough easier to be worth a bit of faffing around.
Not too sure I would want to be wielding a welding torch around back and underside of an MGF. Too much rubber and plastic parts to melt and too many fluids to explode!

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Sat May 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Phil Jay wrote:
BodgeItAndScarper wrote:
Not too sure I would want to be wielding a welding torch around back and underside of an MGF. Too much rubber and plastic parts to melt and too many fluids to explode!
Fair enough. I wonder if there's a high-strength adhesive which could do the job. Some of these modern glues are pretty amazing. Is there even space to drill the sphere for the valve, though?

John SS
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Sun May 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Does anyone know the spec of the Schraders used for this, please? There seem to be lots of variants.

jaapaap1111

Post by jaapaap1111 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:51 pm

I used the same valves that are on the fluid pipes of the hydragas. They are thus able to handle the pressure. I bought them on the bay of e.
It might be a bit more expensive than other valves but I found out its difficult to find the high pressure schrader valves.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun May 21, 2017 6:03 pm

BodgeItAndScarper wrote:Fair enough. I wonder if there's a high-strength adhesive which could do the job. Some of these modern glues are pretty amazing. Is there even space to drill the sphere for the valve, though?
Not 400 psi good.

The spheres need to be depressurised to do the welding and removing them from the car isn't a difficult job.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun May 21, 2017 6:04 pm

ZSx wrote:How long does this process take, I think I need to get it done at some point and even though this outfit is 3 hours away, it might be worth a trip if they know what they are doing :)
If you need a spare set of spheres to do this on I know someone who has some, you probably know them too. ;)
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

John SS
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Mon May 22, 2017 10:20 am

jaapaap1111 wrote:I used the same valves that are on the fluid pipes of the hydragas. They are thus able to handle the pressure. I bought them on the bay of e.
It might be a bit more expensive than other valves but I found out its difficult to find the high pressure schrader valves.
Many thanks, found the listing on eBay.

ZSx
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Mon May 22, 2017 1:33 pm

talkingcars wrote:
ZSx wrote:How long does this process take, I think I need to get it done at some point and even though this outfit is 3 hours away, it might be worth a trip if they know what they are doing :)
If you need a spare set of spheres to do this on I know someone who has some, you probably know them too. ;)
Actually that might be a really good idea... save the car being off the road for a while! Hmmm so who is it who has these spares then? :thumbsu:

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue May 23, 2017 4:15 pm

It's worth noting that Hydragas Services welds the valves onto the spheres in a different position to those on the above photos

This is where the valve is welded on a normal 'F' front sphere by Ian Kennedy.

The rear sphere valve location:

Valve location is to allow re-charging should it be necessary without removal.

Andy1
MGF Register Region: Lancashire

Post by Andy1 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:48 pm

What sort of cost are we looking at for what looks like a good service
Thanks
Andy

adrianvvc
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by adrianvvc » Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 pm

I have fitted re-gassed spheres to my Trophy.
I have some spare, tested Trophy Spheres for sale, ready for regassing.
And another set of non-leaking ones.
They are like gold, rocking horse sxxt so make me a sensible offer by email.
weedonpo@aol.com
Attachments
spheres oldn.JPG

jaapaap1111

Re: RE: Re: MGF Trophy Hydragas Spheres Repaired - Brilliant!

Post by jaapaap1111 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Reckless Rat wrote:It's worth noting that Hydragas Services welds the valves onto the spheres in a different position to those on the above photos

This is where the valve is welded on a normal 'F' front sphere by Ian Kennedy.

The rear sphere valve location:

Valve location is to allow re-charging should it be necessary without removal.
I understand this front sphere valve position avoids the need of making a hole in the plate above the sphere. But i would fit the valve facing the outer side of the car. I think there is no room for regassing in this position. When directed outside there is plenty of space after removing inner wheel arch.

I did not dare to weld it this way because the heat gets very close to the membrane when welding.

The holes i had to cut are MOT compliant in the Netherlands. I have checked that.