Manual Tensioner Timing Belt

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Mattyboy2154
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 VVC

Manual Tensioner Timing Belt

Post by Mattyboy2154 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have any opinion on the removal of the spring from the manual cambelt tensioner after it has done it's job and the tensioner is torqued down. Some say remove it as it has done it's job and is redundant after the bolts are tight. Some say to leave it in place as it isn't doing any harm and Rover doesn't say anything about it either way in the manual.

I can understand the removal of it as it could potentially come loose and the cambelt can munch it as well as many other expensive parts. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Just wondered what others did before I made my own mind up.

Thanks

Matty
Matty

2016 VW up! Street in Silver
2016 BMW 118d Sport auto in Mineral Grey
1996 MGF 1.8 VVC in Metallic Green

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: Manual Tensioner Timing Belt

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu May 25, 2017 6:48 pm

I prefer to set the timing belt tension by feel rather than using a tensioner spring. You should be just able to rotate the belt through 90° on its longest run (crank to exhaust cam). Mind you I've never had a manual tensioner with a spring - are you sure you don't mean the automatic one?

This is a manual tensioner:

and this is the auto one (with a spring):

Mattyboy2154
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 VVC

Re: Manual Tensioner Timing Belt

Post by Mattyboy2154 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:39 pm

It's a manual tensioner and I have elected to remove it. Thanks for taking the time to reply though mate.

Matty
Matty

2016 VW up! Street in Silver
2016 BMW 118d Sport auto in Mineral Grey
1996 MGF 1.8 VVC in Metallic Green