MGF mark 1 downpipes & O2 sonde

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
apiebyanyothername
MGF Register Region: Europe

MGF mark 1 downpipes & O2 sonde

Post by apiebyanyothername » Tue May 23, 2017 11:00 am

Hi,
I'm running a 1999 mark 1 MGF 1.8e. Having lost half the skin on my knuckles trying to replace the O2 Sonde, I have to ask the question as to whether anyone has moved the O2
sonde to the Mark 2 position on the downpie - surely much easier to get to, and if so how did they do it? welding a new boss to the mk1 down pipe? or welding the four bolt flange on a mk 2 downpipe? I know theres no technical reason, in fact the new position gives the sonde an easier time ( I've sat through too many meetings with the O2 sonde people ( Them) wanting as it far as possible from the manifold for temperature reasons and the catalyst people ( us ) wanting it as close as possible for quick catalyst light off!). Any info greatfully received.
TP

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: MGF mark 1 downpipes & O2 sonde

Post by talkingcars » Tue May 23, 2017 10:55 pm

It sounds like a lot of work for the gain.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

apiebyanyothername

Post by apiebyanyothername » Wed May 24, 2017 8:54 am

Not really - last time I had to take the exhaust manifold & downpipe off to get the sensor out. Easy enough to weld in a 18mm x 1.5 boss at the same time.

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 am

Surely it only has to be done once or twice in the cars life? Welding a boss further down would work though it that's what you want to do.

apiebyanyothername

Post by apiebyanyothername » Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 pm

You would think so wouldn't you. But according to the maintenance history when I bought the car, it had had the sensor replaced early in its life, I had to replace it when it went through its French reception MOT 2011 ( that was when I lost most of the skin off my knuckles ), changed it in 2015 after HGF. The exhaust system has got to come off this year before it goes in for its two yearly mot, so it would seem to be a good time to make my life easier. Shouldn't need changing, but I like the idea of just putting it up on ramps and slotting it in if required.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed May 24, 2017 2:07 pm

I have only changed mine once and that was when I changed the complete exhaust.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 pm

apiebyanyothername wrote:You would think so wouldn't you. But according to the maintenance history when I bought the car, it had had the sensor replaced early in its life, I had to replace it when it went through its French reception MOT 2011 ( that was when I lost most of the skin off my knuckles ), changed it in 2015 after HGF. The exhaust system has got to come off this year before it goes in for its two yearly mot, so it would seem to be a good time to make my life easier. Shouldn't need changing, but I like the idea of just putting it up on ramps and slotting it in if required.

To be honest I've changed a couple of mk2 sensors, & it's always easier to remove the downpipe. It's a bit difficult to get an leverage while it's still on the car.