TF 135 Coolant loss

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Jackall
MGF Register Region: South Wales

TF 135 Coolant loss

Post by Jackall » Sat May 27, 2017 11:44 am

Hello, I've only just joined this forum, so I may be resurrecting an old chestnut, apologies if so. my car is a late 2003 TF135 manual with 41k on the clock

My issue is, I have a slight coolant loss even when cold and stationary, about quarter-half pint a week. It appears to be around the exhaust manifold toward the N/S as it seems to drip onto the exhaust, with some some running onto the sump. Initially, I suspected the water pump, even though I changed this about 4k miles ago when I changed the cam belt and tensioner as well as replacing the underfloor pipes with S/S.
The take off to the the underfloor pipe on the N/S of the head appears to be quite dry and I haven't found and leaks on any of the pipes either.
Also, there appears to be oil in the header tank, although this could be residue from a suspected and replaced HGF before I bought the car. :o as there was/is coolant residue on the block. There is no evidence of water in the oil, no mayonnaise on dipstick, or filler caps. The oil was flushed at the time of the cam belt change.
Is it possible that there is a leak between the head & block outwards without affecting the combustion chamber? or are there any core plugs in the block in that area?
Any thoughts or advice would be very welcome
Regards
David

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Re: TF 135 Coolant loss

Post by ArntyR » Sat May 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi Jackall, another common leak area/weakness could be the inlet manifold gasket. It could be that coolant flow through here is leaking 'the other way' and being burned by the engine instead; then you wouldn't see any residue inside the engine bay...

Common symptoms are usually engine bay hotness and a unique smell where coolant may be being burned off the exhaust. Alternatively, a difficulty with warm starting, the unique burning smell and a misty vapour in the exhaust if coolant is mostly being drawn into the engine (although my leak experience was external.)

Your inlet manifold is aluminium, mine's plastic ('05 TF 115), but these are very oft-neglected items. I replaced mine recently after HG replacement in 2010 by a previous owner - and it must have been the original. When you see how flimsy they are you might not be surprised...

Hope this complements your own investigations...

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat May 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Rather than guesswork, it might be best to take off the engine access cover and have a good look at ALL the coolant pipes and connections which are in there. If you take it to a garage they'll probably just try and tell you the head gasket has gone (stock answer for the MGF/TF ignorants). The water pump can be a source of coolant loss, as can the inlet manifold, but if it's pooling on the floor it could well be elsewhere.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat May 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

Pressure testing the coolant system is good for finding leaks.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Jackall

Post by Jackall » Sat May 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Hello, and thank you all for your considered replies, much appreciated. Yes, the engine cover is off, as is the cover on the O/S under the wheel arch. I've checked all of the pipe work around the exhaust side of the engine (rear of engine looking from the back of the car) there is no evidence of coolant around the inlet manifold, or any of the pipework between engine and bulkhead behind the petrol tank and seats, yet there is some fresh water under the exhaust manifold which drips onto the the exhaust, this has an unusual smell which defies description.

Pressure testing is a very good idea, Is there a more appropriate way other than fitting a bung into the header tank with a pipe to a low (<15psi) pressure pump?

I'm assuming at the moment, that another HGF has not occurred as it probably was repaired at about 28k by main dealer with water pump and cam belt, (I fitted a new water pump, cam belt and tensioner at 37k just after I bought the car as history was then unknown, now at 41k)

Yes, I realise the stock answer from most garages would be along the lines of "Head Gasket gone, very expensive, better to scrap it" NO WAY am I going to do that. It sits nicely alongside our MG3 and much loved Y type!

Thanks again
David

mgtfnut
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Sun May 28, 2017 9:33 am

Coolant on the exhaust has a peculiar smell - one I try and avoid!

Leverage from the exhaust manifold, particularly if the anti-torque fittings are "slack/worn", can let coolant out as there are no head studs round the circumference of the block. It sounds like this might be happening.

I would think nothing fatal will happen - firstly check the anti-torque assys top and bottom are good, check the exhaust rubber hangar has not aged and stretched.

It could be something like this, depends on what sort of HG was fitted. The polymer bead type can give your described symptoms if the head is strained by the manifold.

Do a little more investigation, ie look at the head with the engine running (with the lid off!!), rev occasionally to see if any coolant weeps out of the head/block joint above the manifold and take it from there.

Your original diagnosis might well be correct.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Jackall

Post by Jackall » Wed May 31, 2017 9:00 am

Good News (1) MGTF passed it's MoT without any advisories! Good News (2) whilst up on ramp, tester invited me under, could clearly see drips of coolant coming down the block on the gearbox end in the space between the engine and bulkhead from around the exhaust manifold
Bad News Tester suggested that it was leaking out from the head gasket. Next Step: pressure test the system.

Options (1) Try to replace Head Gasket with engine in situ (2) Remove engine & subframe Could at least clean up the sub frame and do any other jobs needed.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received

David

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Wed May 31, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes, good to finally know what it is...

IMO I reckon you ought to do the subframe too 'cos HG replacement puts your TF 'right' and levels the see-saw. (While you're there I reckon you ought replace the IM gasket. It's very cheap and easier than sitting in the boot cursing.)

BUT don't we all look forward to slogging away at our steeds to make them even better? Please tell me that's the real reason we graze our knuckles, spend hard-earned money, lay in puddles...