Recharging spheres Tecnosir

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Re: Recharging spheres Tecnosir

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 pm

ZSx wrote: If and when he offers the valves I will buy them and fit them... but I will need to find a nitrogen refill station that copes with 17 bar! :sf:

When this happens I will write a how to.. but it sounds very easy TBH (as long as you have a hydra-gas pump, which I currently do not!)
Did we ever come to any conclusions on the suggestion of using a plumber's pressure test pump for that?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/281990239756

Add the low-loss valve - which you can get from the US for £20-30 I think, and you should be sorted.

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 pm

BodgeItAndScarper wrote:
ZSx wrote: If and when he offers the valves I will buy them and fit them... but I will need to find a nitrogen refill station that copes with 17 bar! :sf:

When this happens I will write a how to.. but it sounds very easy TBH (as long as you have a hydra-gas pump, which I currently do not!)
Did we ever come to any conclusions on the suggestion of using a plumber's pressure test pump for that?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/281990239756

Add the low-loss valve - which you can get from the US for £20-30 I think, and you should be sorted.
Don't really see why you would need to reinvent the wheel. The existing pump designed to do the job is already available on eBay and works absolutely fine. There is no need at all for a low loss connector, in my experience. I have pumped up several F's with no problems.

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Have you just pumped it up a bit or done it from completely flat as I've read those pumps you refer to take forever to do it from empty...where as the plumber pump are better and half the price.

John SS

Post by John SS » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 pm

beefio wrote:Have you just pumped it up a bit or done it from completely flat as I've read those pumps you refer to take forever to do it from empty...where as the plumber pump are better and half the price.
£50 v £65 I make it. I have not done one from empty but did do a car that was virtually on the bump stops and it only took about 20 minutes, at most. I will take your word for the plumber pump being better, but haven't read of anybody trying it.

beefio

Post by beefio » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:28 am

£27 v £65...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271968545293

Charles recommend this kind of pump which is why i brought it, but I haven't actually used it yet...I actually got mine for £21 and it seems very well made!

beefio

Post by beefio » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:54 am

I got this low loss Connector for £29.50...

http://www.aamason.com/aamason-0101

I also needed this adapter...

http://r.ebay.com/MN1A9y

John SS

Post by John SS » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:33 am

beefio wrote:£27 v £65...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271968545293

Charles recommend this kind of pump which is why i brought it, but I haven't actually used it yet...I actually got mine for £21 and it seems very well made!
Sounds good. Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

jaapaap1111
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by jaapaap1111 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:39 am

I used the plumber pump. It works great and easy. No mess. Easy to do the pump up, release fluid cycle to get rid of all air. Bought the low loss connector at skygeek.com.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks, that's good to know.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:53 pm

I have pumped up the re-gassed spheres from completely flat using my cheapo pump. The secret is in putting fluid into the spheres before reconnecting the hydragas pipes to minimise air pockets. Then pump to pressure, allow to settle and drain. This removes virtually all of the air which is then in emulsion in the fluid. Re-pressurise again using clean fluid and all should be well. If not, repeat. You can also purge air out of the hydragas pipes by cracking the joint with the sphere before pressurising and having someone pump fluid through. Re-tighten when fluid runs through clear. Bit messy but effective.

This is the method suggested by Ian at Hydragas conversions and it seems to work for me.

One thing worth checking, if you are using a cheapo pump - the 'O' rings in the pump chamber are very easily worn out by the reciprocating action. replacing them before starting the job will save ages of effort at the lever!