Recharging spheres Tecnosir

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: Recharging spheres Tecnosir

Post by RobboMC » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:25 am

BodgeItAndScarper wrote:What's the gas volume in the spheres? Seems like what you want is a pressure vessel the same size with 800psi nitrogen inside it. Simply connect the two and allow pressure to equalise. Much easier than trying to take the car somewhere to be pumped up.
The normal source of Nitrogen would normally be a tyre retailer, however since tyres run at less than 50 psi they're regulators are smaller.
We will need a retailer wit a high pressure regulator, not expensive within reach of the home mechanic.

You then hire a gas bottle with a few thousand psi in it, fill your spheres and return the gas bottle and get your deposit back ( minus the cost of the contents of course )

Sounds simple in theory I know, but that's how it could work, unless a savvy tyre retailer is willing to buy a 400 psi regulator.

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:23 am

What I was suggesting was that you'd hire a bottle (or rather, four) the right size and at the right pressure that you didn't need a regulator, you'd just connect it up.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Ideally what you'd really want is a one-stop-shop that did everything for you.

I've tried to persuade Moulton in Bradford-on-Avon that this would be a good little business for them to get into - but so far to no avail...

jaapaap1111
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by jaapaap1111 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:22 pm

I had a citroen classic garage to put nitrogen in my spheres as he had the same service for citroen suspension.... i only had tot take the low loss connector along cos the valves are different

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 am

Rob Bell wrote:Where's Ian based? I might drop him a line. I'd be happy to supply the hydragas spheres to be modified and re-charged :)
You can just post your spheres to Ian and he'll sort and post back which costs about £350 or what I did is just brought 4 regassed spheres from Ian for £500 then you can sell your old ones, which saved the car being off the road.

I have to say I thought it was a bit expensive when I first looked in to, but since it's been done I think it is good value for money and transforms the ride, I enjoy drive my F so much more without crashing over rough roads!

How long they last only time will tell...

But the MS solution sounds like a reall winner, other than you'll have to take your car to them which may be a pain...but to save £300 probably worth it!

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:19 am

I get the impression that some of you are getting confused with regassing spheres and pumping the suspension. The pressure in the Nitrogen egg is (if I remember correctly) somewhere in the region of 280psi. This pressure allows the displacer unit to act as a spring. It has nothing to do with the ride height which is controlled by the volume (and pressure) of the hydragas fluid in the lower part of the displacer, which also has a restrictor valve to control damping. Varying the hydraulic pressure controls the ride height. Normally this is at around 400psi allowing the car to sit at 380mm. Varying the nitrogen pressure will affect the ability of the nitrogen egg to be displaced by suspension movement, which as it reduces allows the sphere membrane to fill the space lost by the gas, thus rendering the suspension harder and harder. Continued corrections of ride height do nothing other than raising the car which once the nitrogen has gone leaves you with the suspension effectively solid.

A regassed sphere should hold its gas for a long time and shouldn't need re-gassing unless the membrane has failed, in which case it's scrap anyway.
No attempts should be made to mess about with the nitrogen valve once a sphere has been so treated. Leave the bloody thing alone!

If you've had to reset the ride height more than twice there's something amiss somewhere. If the spheres are over 15yrs old (as most of them are now) then they're probably gas depleted and need servicing. Leaving be and continuing to use the car will ruin them, which is false economy given the low volume of spares available.

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:33 pm

I thought there must be roughly the same pressure either side of the membrane?

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Not when unloaded...

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:52 pm

Ah, good point.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:05 pm

beefio wrote:
Rob Bell wrote:Where's Ian based? I might drop him a line. I'd be happy to supply the hydragas spheres to be modified and re-charged :)
You can just post your spheres to Ian and he'll sort and post back which costs about £350 or what I did is just brought 4 regassed spheres from Ian for £500 then you can sell your old ones, which saved the car being off the road.

I have to say I thought it was a bit expensive when I first looked in to, but since it's been done I think it is good value for money and transforms the ride, I enjoy drive my F so much more without crashing over rough roads!

How long they last only time will tell...

But the MS solution sounds like a reall winner, other than you'll have to take your car to them which may be a pain...but to save £300 probably worth it!
Ta! And good point regarding selling on - although might be good to hoard a "spare" set in the event that a membrane fails (no way of repairing this to the best of my knowledge)

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Having spoke to Mike recently (on the phone) he said the re gassing solution will be self sealing and no welding required, he hinted that 1st August he will release this product. It should be, drill 8mm hole and screw in his valve, then pump it up with nitrogen to 17 Bar (I think that's the pressure he mentioned).

He also said that a supplier has let him down and the spring conversion has been delayed.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Only a couple of weeks before the big reveal on the Hydragas solution then :thumbsu:

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:30 pm

ZSx wrote:Having spoke to Mike recently (on the phone) he said the re gassing solution will be self sealing and no welding required, he hinted that 1st August he will release this product. It should be, drill 8mm hole and screw in his valve, then pump it up with nitrogen to 17 Bar (I think that's the pressure he mentioned).
I'm really looking forward to this.

If you want a pump to fill the spheres with air temporarily so you can drive to wherever will recharge them, bike air-shock pumps are reasonably cheap and go up to a high enough pressure:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/life ... prod155352

A lot of pumps on Ebay etc claim to pump to high pressure but in fact don't.

jaapaap1111

Post by jaapaap1111 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:42 pm

First picture of the new mike satur shocks and springs is on his site. It becomes more real...!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm

jaapaap1111 wrote:First picture of the new mike satur shocks and springs is on his site. It becomes more real...!
Can't find it? Only the spring replacement kit (that's under development)

ZSx

Post by ZSx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Rob Bell wrote:
jaapaap1111 wrote:First picture of the new mike satur shocks and springs is on his site. It becomes more real...!
Can't find it? Only the spring replacement kit (that's under development)
The photos jaapaap1111 refers to, I believe, are the ones on this page http://www.mikesatur.co.uk/index.php?ro ... uct_id=833 and as Mike says in the blurb, "NOTE PICTURE ONLY SHOWS THE SPRINGS AND SHOCKS NOT THE FULL KIT"

I've not seen or heard anything else about the valve option... but this is the one i am most interested in, at this stage anyway :)

However at strong money the conversion kit (one linked above) will have to be a proven system for me to buy (with no issues like the Suplex and Ozzy kits).

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 pm

ZSx wrote:Having spoke to Mike recently (on the phone) he said the re gassing solution will be self sealing and no welding required, he hinted that 1st August he will release this product. It should be, drill 8mm hole and screw in his valve, then pump it up with nitrogen to 17 Bar (I think that's the pressure he mentioned).

He also said that a supplier has let him down and the spring conversion has been delayed.
This sounds amazing, who's going to be one of the brave pioneers to give it a go and do a how to :P?

Perhaps me? Let's see how much it costs at release and maybe I'll re-prioritise some of my other plans and get this done instead...
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm

ZSx wrote:The photos jaapaap1111 refers to, I believe, are the ones on this page http://www.mikesatur.co.uk/index.php?ro ... uct_id=833 and as Mike says in the blurb, "NOTE PICTURE ONLY SHOWS THE SPRINGS AND SHOCKS NOT THE FULL KIT"

I've not seen or heard anything else about the valve option... but this is the one i am most interested in, at this stage anyway :)

However at strong money the conversion kit (one linked above) will have to be a proven system for me to buy (with no issues like the Suplex and Ozzy kits).
Thanks - I was being uber dense... :roll:

ZSx

Post by ZSx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:21 pm

RSR92 wrote:

This sounds amazing, who's going to be one of the brave pioneers to give it a go and do a how to :P?

Perhaps me? Let's see how much it costs at release and maybe I'll re-prioritise some of my other plans and get this done instead...
If and when he offers the valves I will buy them and fit them... but I will need to find a nitrogen refill station that copes with 17 bar! :sf:

When this happens I will write a how to.. but it sounds very easy TBH (as long as you have a hydra-gas pump, which I currently do not!)

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:30 pm

RSR92 wrote:

If it's at the kind of price he's saying, I'll be right in there.