MPi head removal with inlet manifold attached?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Countax
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

MPi head removal with inlet manifold attached?

Post by Countax » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:26 am

Just a quick question to the experts before i embark on changing the HG on my MEMS3 1.8L MPi MGf.
I hear the plastic inlet manifold is a bit of a pig to remove whilst the engine is in situ, but is it any harder than removing a VVC inlet manifold as i have done that several times?
If it is worse than removing a VVC manifold then i was wondering if it can be left attached to the head and removed from the engine bay with the head.
If this is possible then any tips would be welcome ( other than pay someone to do it! ).
Nigel

The old one
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 1.8 l

Re: MPi head removal with inlet manifold attached?

Post by The old one » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 am

Nigel,
Yes it is possible, I done it a couple of years ago, just remember to cover up the alternator to stop liquids entering when the seal breaks.
Steve

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:09 am

Leaving the manifold on the head during head removal is the recommended way by at least one of the famous MG Mobile Mechanics.

I changed the inlet manifold gasket on mine when I had the head on the bench. Really easy that way but only do it if you are having to changed the head gasket! :lol:

Countax
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by Countax » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Well that was an easy head removal once i had worked out to disconnect the multiplug.
The reason for changing the head gasket was because the car was new to me and although being a 2001 model it only had 54k on the clock and previous owner had no mechanical history of the vehicle. There were no outward signs of the cam belts nor the HG having been changed so i was doing a major service on them and decided to do the HG whilst deep into the engine bay as a precautionary measure. I had the gaskets in my parts bins so the additional cost would be minimal.
When the head was removed guess what i found.....an MLS gasket! Darn it i thought, a wasted exercise. BUT what i did find was a load of crystaline stuff around the liner nearest the water pump and the black surface treatment on the face of the shim had warped and was separated from the shim. I have never seen the crystaline stuff before so i am wondering what it could be. There was no evidence of it in the radiator nor in the water pump. My next job is to drain out the coolant around the liners and clear out all this stuff and inspect the head ready for refitting.
Nigel

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:26 am

Aw...nooo...could it be the dreaded leak sealant?

I'm still having therapy for emotional scarring even tho' the physical abrasions on my wrist and fore-arms have long-since healed (due to imgasket replacement in situ and subsequent discovery of leak sealant 'felony')

Unlike you I haven't done a full HG swap yet (respec' bruv) but I now KNOW that it's a no-brainer not do both at the same time. Perhaps, even, change my black plastic ('05 TF 1.6) inlet manifold to the aluminium version that every other TF model but mine has (sigh...)?

BTW thanks for your feedback but not aware of any multiplug prob (?)