Electric Windows issue

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
AndyMaltese
MGF Register Region: Europe

Electric Windows issue

Post by AndyMaltese » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:38 am

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with my driver's side electric window. I'm putting everything back together again after a complete rebuild.
The driver's side window goes down all the way with one touch (rather than me holding the button all the way down). I don't recall it being like that before. What worries me is that once the window gets to the bottom, the motor is not cutting out. If I listen carefully, I can hear a relay click after a few seconds but it keeps clicking every few seconds and the motor gets warm. The only way to stop the relay clicking is to press the 'up' button briefly. Any ideas what it could be? :| :thumbsu:

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Electric Windows issue

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:30 am

I'd start with the switch.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

AndyMaltese

Post by AndyMaltese » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:07 pm

I tried swapping the switch with the left one but the problem remained on the right side. So not the switch.
BTW, the car is a 2002 MGTF 160

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:07 pm

What kind of fob you have? Square one with two buttons?
If so, then you should have auto drivers window down function. Problem might be in windows ecu.

AndyMaltese

Post by AndyMaltese » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Yes, square Fob. I'm assuming it's the ECU. Might get hold of one from a freelander. It looks exactly the same and the socket matches but part of the part number code is different. Anyone knows if it matches?

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:10 am

I assume you have one connector with 10 pins? Electric diagram of MG TF windows ECU and electric diagram of Freelander windows ECU are exactly the same, so I assume you can use Freelander ECU. I did not use it, but I am pretty sure you can use it. I would try it if I need one.
Regarding windows ECU from Rover 25 and MG ZR you cannot use with direct swap since they have two connectors instead of one which you have. You would need to make rewiring and make a test if it will work.