Paddles only working changing up

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Terry C
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Paddles only working changing up

Post by Terry C » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Hello.

I hope someone can assist me as I am having trouble operating in sport mode on my 2002 MG TF Step-speed.
It will change both up and down as it should using the gearstick & it will change up through all of the gears using the paddles, but will not change down using the paddles so I just revert back to the gear stick or put it back in to D.

Terry.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Paddles only working changing up

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm guessing that there's a broken wire somewhere between the paddle and the gearbox, possible at the steering wheel end due to the movement.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:16 pm

I was thinking connector problems, but same difference. Just a guess, though, and I bet the F experts can tell us exactly what the problem is.

Failing that, get a multimeter (if you don't have one already) and check what the paddle switches are doing.

Terry C

Post by Terry C » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Thank you for your responses, I will check out your suggestions.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 am

The 'manual control buttons wiring runs from steering wheel buttons, where both buttons are wired together behind the airbag, through the rotary coupler, behind the steering wheel, and down to the gear lever. From there they run to the back of the car to the gearbox ECU which is located behind the carpet in the left hand rear wing.

My recollection is the manual control buttons are switches to ground the wiring which the ECU recognises.

You will need to check out the wiring at each of these areas. It may be the rotary coupler which also carries the airbag and horn connections is tired.
Wiring schematics can be found by Googling.

Good luck!

As an aside, I found that the stepspeed manual paddles and gear lever worked in reverse to other cars and as the BMW that I had at the time also had paddles it became very confusing! I changed the wiring at the MG's ECU (cut the wires and reconnected them swapped over) so that both cars worked to the standard convention of 'pull to go up' the gearbox and 'push to go down'. (Changed it back to standard when I sold the car so as not to conflict with the car's manual when I sold it.)

Terry C

Re: Paddles onTerryly working changing up

Post by Terry C » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi again. I am grateful for all of the input offered and though I have not "as yet" had chance to follow up on said comments I hope to get stuck in next week.
So just one additional question aimed to Tipper:
Do you think that " bearing in mind that I have no intention of intentionally operating/testing the air bag system" but if the horn push is working is it likely that the rotary coupler could still be at fault?
Terry C.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:01 pm

I think the rotary coupler is made up of many individual coiled wires so I assume just because one is OK doesn't mean another is too!