Considering a Stepspeed but are they reliable

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Phil Jay
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Considering a Stepspeed but are they reliable

Post by Phil Jay » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm really interested in getting an MG TF Stepspeed, but I'm concerned about reliability.
My wife had a ZR Stepspeed which suffered a catastrophic failure at 50,000 miles, in spite of following the service regime to the book and it being lovingly cared for by Nick and Jean at Austin Garages.

I'm probably crazy to consider it, but for commuting and touring the auto box is just so relaxing!
I would really appreciate any feedback from owners on their experiences.

Many thanks
Phil

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Re: Considering a Stepspeed but are they reliable

Post by Tipper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:55 am

I had mine for 10 years with no problems although the springs in the drive/damper plate were becoming audible but this didn't affect performance in any way. I did religiously change the fluid with the correct oil (Mobil EZL799) to the service schedule, ie every 2 years. However my mileage was very very low so not really representative, but I agree driving the Steppy was a dream. Went well on track too, the paddle gear change in 'manual' being fun, but a little under-powered compared with other similar cars.

However, I suspect your own experience with your wife's car will mean more to you than others feedback. :?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:39 pm

It's the same box as used in the first iteration of the BMW MINI, so there are loads about. I get the impression that they are okay reliability wise, if not quite the bomb-proof unit the manual PG1 is!

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:38 pm

Rob Bell wrote:It's the same box as used in the first iteration of the BMW MINI, so there are loads about. I get the impression that they are okay reliability wise, if not quite the bomb-proof unit the manual PG1 is!
Actually in the USA there were many gearbox failures on the MINI which led to class law suits against BMW! I suspect that was why ZF off-loaded the design to another company, Punch Powertrain, so as not to taint themselves if it all went pear-shaped. :oops:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Tipper wrote:Actually in the USA there were many gearbox failures on the MINI which led to class law suits against BMW! I suspect that was why ZF off-loaded the design to another company, Punch Powertrain, so as not to taint themselves if it all went pear-shaped. :oops:
Interesting: I didn't know that... But BMW has gone to great lengths to protect its and MINI's reputation. My mother had an early BMW Mini for many years. Loved the car and generally reliable, but the electrically powered hydraulic steering failed, draining the battery within an hour of the ignition having been switched off. The car was well out of warranty (8 years old I think?) but I discovered that BMW was still fitting replacements FOC (but you had to know to ask for it). I asked for it, and it was replaced FOC!!! Remarkable, but it keeps owners happy! And my mother has purchased a new MINI Countryman, so I guess it worked...

Terry C
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Post by Terry C » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello Phil.
I bought my 2002 TF stepspeed in July last year and love it, sure it is no SLK or XK8 in power take up & gives the impression that it will need to take a breath any minuet, but it is smooth and effortless.
My paddles are giving trouble on change down but from helpful advice from this forum I expect it to be some thing simple and inexpensive, all cars have problems and I see the stepspeed transmission is no less reliable than any other.
Go get one while you can, I recon they are going to appreciate sooner than other models.
Cheers.

Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Fraser » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:34 pm

My wife had a 25 with the autobox. There is a little bearing inside that fails and you hear what seems to be a moped riding too close behind you. If you get this noise it is essential it is dealt with ASAP before the bearing breaks up and wrecks the box. At the auto-transmission shop I had to get the bus home as the chap said it mustn't be driven any further. Not good, I suppose if you're in the middle of the Shropshire lanes or the Highlands of Scotland !! This bearing was a fairly cheap job at around £250 all in incl VAT. However we did get rid of the car shortly after as it suffered far too many faults this just being the last one. HGF was the major one, needless to say. Quality was always MG Rover's bad point, and the thick and stupid senior managers never sorrted it out.