accelerator pedal

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Ron W
MGF Register Region: South East

accelerator pedal

Post by Ron W » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi any ideas new to forum Iv'e got a 04 TF and have changed the throttle cable as it was very notchy and it made a vast improvement but my pedal is still very stiff and heavy, causing loads of problems in traffic could it be a problem with the pedal itself?? my bundle of joy is definitely going down on my fun factor chart

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: accelerator pedal

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Disconnect the cable at the pedal and see if the pedal is rotating correctly on its pivot. Some lubrication might be necessary. Helps if you're good at potholing.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:52 pm

I found that easing the fixings and bends along the route helped smooth the action greatly.

Ron W

Post by Ron W » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply I have taken the pedal off and looked at the nylon bungs they are very grooved so do you think that this might be the problem as it might be sticking as you press the pedal down. I have checked the cable run and no kinks in cable also checked the function of the throttle body and is fine. Ron

Ron W

Post by Ron W » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:39 pm

Just had a new soft top fitted today went for the black with glass window transformed the look of the car . The bloke that fitted it took about 3 hours and only charged me £500. Shame I can't get the nuisance to drive smoothly. Might have to resort to taking it in to MJ Autos in Littlehampton..

Jim Martin
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Jim Martin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi Ron,

I have exactly the same problem with my 04 TF. I've bought a throttle cable to replace (haven't yet attempted the job) but apparently you can buy replacement nylon bushings from Rimmer Bros.

Larry Nicoll
Model of Car: MG TF

Post by Larry Nicoll » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:47 pm

I had a similar problem and probably like most lubricated the cable using WD40, you should not use oil as I understand that the cable has a PTFE liner. This improved matters for a few months after which it started to stick and snatch again. I used WD40 again but when picking up some oil I noticed a PTFE based lubricant which I used next time the cable started to drag, this improved the situation and was longer lasting.
However, when I had the rear shelf cover and the sound proof wadding out of the car I had reason to drive it and found the accelerator cable problem had effectively disappeared. I noticed that the cable route formed a raised curved profile which caused the cable to pinched or flattened once the sound proofing was refitted. I cut a slot in the wadding under the rubber sheet to accommodate the curved profile of the cable and the situation is much improved.
MGTF : 2005; 15" wheels; 280mm discs all round; servo brace; Mike Satur gear change; Mike Satur 4:2:1 manifold; sports cat; Daytona silencer; KMaps remap