EPAS warning on, pwr steering fail :(

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Megajools
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

EPAS warning on, pwr steering fail :(

Post by Megajools » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:58 am

Hi All,

so my X 2000 MGF has the EPAS warning light permanently on and therefore no power steering. I check the 40A fuse which is fine with no sign of corrosion. During my fault finding mission fuse #12 needed replacing for he boot light and radio which also failed but not at the same time. I have replaced the battery as some other forums said it could be voltage related.
Any other advice please as I've reached my DIY limit probably?!
Thank you

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: EPAS warning on, pwr steering fail :(

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 pm

A 2000 MGF should have an electronic speedo (electronic display for odo/trip) rather than the earlier mechanical type. This is a common problem on earlier cars as the mechanical cable snaps as it enters the gearbox drive.

Yours, being electronic, will have a different problem. I'd start by checking that the electronic sender on the gearbox (it's on top of the gearbox housing, so ideally you need to remove the engine inspection cover to find it) is in place and that the cable is still connected. Then check to see whether the cable is one piece - it's possible that it has suffered an internal wire break (it's 17 years old, so who knows?)

Do you have access to a multi-meter?

Megajools

Post by Megajools » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 am

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the response but that sounds way beyond my skill level! Anyone know a reputable garage for MG near me ..Cambridge?
Thanks
Julie
Tried a main dealer for new MG, don't seem terribly competent and flippin expensive

john_g

Post by john_g » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:28 pm

hi Julie, to be honest, removing the access cover and checking the plug on the gearbox is well within the capabilities of an indy garage.. a friendly local place should be able to get that far fairly quickly..

I would do it but too far unfortunately.

John

Megajools

Post by Megajools » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Spoke to Brown and Gammons who have suggested its the alternator. With a bit of surfing about and thinking about the other things that have been present, funny electrical smell for example, this seems very possible!

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Alternator failure eventually gives rise to the ecu shutting down the EPAS to save voltage in the battery . This is the last of many electrical shut-downs/failures on the car.
This usually happens after a whole raft of other items fail, such as speedo, rev counter,ABS (if fitted), etc, and a whole dashboard of fairy lights! You haven't mentioned these and having suffered this on the middle of Dartmoor I doubt it's just the alternator. But willing to be proved wrong!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Common things being common... The Bosch alternator is nowhere near as long-lived as the Marelli Magneti item used on earlier cars (so much for typical German and Italian stereotypes! :lol:)

john_g

Post by john_g » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:20 pm

as an aside.. I rebuilt my first alternator this week.. and it works now ! :)

£11.24 !

was a Valeo thing for my camper

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:39 am

:thumbsu:

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:40 am

Hi and welcome to the forum Julie

This sounds like a job for one of the mobile mechanics.
Might be worth getting them to do a full check of the car.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com