Selecting Reverse

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Selecting Reverse

Post by John SS » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Ever since I had the gear change cables replaced, engaging reverse has been a bit hit and miss. It is as if the action is not quite getting there, resulting in very embarrassing grinding noises. Will tightening these adjusters make any difference or does the solution lie elsewhere? The engagement action in all the five forward gears is smooth and precise.
Gearlinkage.jpg

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Re: Selecting Reverse

Post by John SS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Bump!
Can anybody help with this, please?

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:27 am

I wouldn't have thought the bolts alone would help with reaching reverse, but I'm no expert and still learning about these cars myself

I recently changed my gear cable, and still get a touch of grinding occasionally from reverse but it's much better after I did a slight adjustment to the fore/aft cable i.e the cable that takes the higher position near the gearbox. Is it worth your disconnecting this, shortening it by a complete rotation and refitting? It'll also be worth making sure the gear stick is central when the cable is removed before reattaching other than that I can help no further I am sorry to say
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Tightening the nuts isn't hard, and makes the gear shift feel much better. Even if it's not the problem it's worth doing.

For what it's worth, I had the same kind of trouble engaging reverse before I changed the clutch slave cylinder seals - started off like that, ended without being able to get any gear as more air got into the system. Might be worth checking the seals and/or bleeding the clutch hydraulics.