Sticky throttle.

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
dunkle
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: VVC

Sticky throttle.

Post by dunkle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:09 pm

:|
Hi, have a 98 MGF VVC which has developed a fault. After a 10 mile or so run the throttle seems to stick at 1500 rpm on tick over and a quick blip settles it back to tick over 850 rpm, I must stress it's only after a good warm up. Any pointers anyone please ?
Jobs done
Both belts
New exhaust
Air filter
oil & filter
4 x upper ball
2 x track rods
4 x new tyres
4 new spark plugs and HT leads.
MGF VVC 98 47K slowly restoring. 8-)

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Sticky throttle.

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Sticky cable or throttle body? Does the throttle body sit against the stop whilst it's revving high? If you push it home do the revs drop?
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

dunkle

Post by dunkle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi no have tested this area. My thoughts are after reading up about it are to replace with a 52mm upgrade.

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:32 pm

dunkle wrote:Hi no have tested this area. My thoughts are after reading up about it are to replace with a 52mm upgrade.

Ah yes that might be a good move if you have a plastic throttle body ~ they are known to warp sometimes and stick.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
members@mgfregister.org

dunkle

Post by dunkle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:40 am

Thank you.

dunkle

Post by dunkle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Upgrade fitted and problem cured. Much smoother and for some reason the car seems a lot better, recommended and took an hour.

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Glad to hear you resolved the problem. :thumbsu:
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org

Larry Nicoll
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF

Post by Larry Nicoll » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:00 pm

I had a similar problem and probably like most lubricated the cable using WD40, you should not use oil as I understand that the cable has a PTFE liner. This improved matters for a few months after which it started to stick and snatch again. I used WD40 again but when picking up some oil I noticed a PTFE based lubricant which I used next time the cable started to drag, this improved the situation and was longer lasting.
However, when I had the rear shelf cover and the sound proof wadding out of the car I had reason to drive it and found the accelerator cable problem had effectively disappeared. I noticed that the cable route formed a raised curved profile which caused the cable to pinched or flattened once the sound proofing was refitted. I cut a slot in the wadding under the rubber sheet to accommodate the curved profile of the cable and the situation is much improved.
MGTF : 2005; 15" wheels; 280mm discs all round; servo brace; Mike Satur gear change; Mike Satur 4:2:1 manifold; sports cat; Daytona silencer; KMaps remap

dunkle

Post by dunkle » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:19 am

Hi, thanks for that and when I next have the lid off will check the route of the cable to make sure. Fortunately after fitting the 52mm no problems so far.