MGF VVC 1999 Will Not Start

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
tim3356
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

MGF VVC 1999 Will Not Start

Post by tim3356 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:44 pm

New member to the MGF Forum although an MGF owner for 15 years, so first of all " Hello All"
My MGF VVC has been stored in the garage un used for about seven years and is now refusing to start. The engine turns over in position III but doesn't fire. In position II I can hear a noise from the engine bay but it is the wrong side for the fuel pump which remains silent. I have checked the fuses and pushed the inertia switch but nothing happens. I was wondering what my next action should be Fuel pump relay or change pump. Everything was working last time I started her but that was on a very low fuel tank.

itsonlyme54
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Re: MGF VVC 1999 Will Not Start

Post by itsonlyme54 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:35 pm

is the fob locking/unlocking the car ?

tim3356

Post by tim3356 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 pm

it is turning off the immobiliser haven't tried the doors as its in the garage unlocked. Battery flat at the moment so ill try this when charged.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Once the battery is fully charged you'll need to reset the immobiliser by pressing the lock & unlock buttons repeatedly using the fob until it resets itself by locking and unlocking the car. Until that happens the fuel pump will be isolated. Due to the time the car has been standing idle it would be prudent to check everything before re-commissioning. You may have a mouse's nest in the airbox!

Unleaded fuel goes stale after a while so some fresh fuel won't go amiss.

tim3356

Post by tim3356 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks Ill give that a go. mouse's nest is a possibility they seem to have got everywhere else :-)

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:31 am

Seven years - heck yes get rid of that old fuel.

We had a car refuse to start at a concourse after being left unlocked and open for about 4 hours.

The called the mobile service people and then one of the gurus simply locked and unlocked it withe key fob and away she went.
After 3 years my car took about 10 cycles of locking and unlocking before it would crank and start.