ABS warning light

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
johnny the fox
MGF Register Region: South East

ABS warning light

Post by johnny the fox » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Problem with ABS as warning will not extinguish, I have renewed all the sensors with new ones from Rimmer Bros ! Any ideas ?

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Re: ABS warning light

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Have you checked the ABS fuse?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Johnny :)

Sorry to hear of the ABS problem. Changing ensors on our cars is a real challenge (as I am sure you have already found). Assuming that the fuse is okay, then we presumably need to start looking elsewhere. The diagnostic tool I have (pscan.eu) can read the MGF/TF ABS ECU for faults and provides live data - which can be really helpful when tracking down faults like this).

Assuming that the cables and all the connections are clean and good, then the hub reluctor rings need to be checked for debris/ damage. I've not really come across this as a problem on our MGs, so I would be looking at diagnostic information to guide the next steps - either that, or spend some time with a multi-meter and check cable continuity :)

johnny the fox

Post by johnny the fox » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:47 am

Hi guys, yes I checked the fuse and it is good, thing is it started off as a duff rear offside sensor, which I replaced, the light went out, a few days later back on, so thought sod it I will replace them all with new bolts and sensor holders/pedestals.
I did a trial run with the new sensors connoted up but not fitted into the hubs and the light went out, put them in and it was back on ?
Looks like that's what I will have to do .How much and where did you get the pscan unit from Rob ?

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:36 am

Hi and welcome to the forum Johnny

The scanner Rob mentions is available from www.pscan.eu , it is a good bit of kit and will pay for itself quite quickly.
It has its own section on another forum - http://www.rovertech.net/forum/viewforu ... 521c09ab68

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

johnny the fox

Post by johnny the fox » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi all, I took he plunge and purchased a pscan unit, did all the necessary and plugged it in and from the menu selected abs and went with 5.0 version, and it records no faults and the abs light goes out, turn off the engine, turn it back on and the abs light comes back on ?

johnny the fox

Post by johnny the fox » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 pm

The ABS light goes out as long as you select an ABS function on the PScan diagnostic board.
Drive with it plugged in it records all the wheel speeds etc. Unplug it or turn the engine off and restart the light comes back on.
Interestingly when reading the EPAS with the PScan it records a speed sensor fault, but the steering works fine.
Could it be a duff ABS module ??

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 pm

I don't think it is version 5.0, I think you have 3.5 or 3.7.

Try all the versions through the pscan.

Whereabouts are you, if not too far I may be able to come and have a look.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

johnny the fox

Post by johnny the fox » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 am

Hi Talkingcars, I am sure that on the PScan that is the lowest version shown .
The car is at my brother in laws drive in Morden SW London, as the MOT expired so needed a drive to keep it on !

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:50 pm

It is a wile since I used it but I'm not sure you are checking the correct version, I'd check it with all versions on the pscan.