1999 MGf 1.8vvc Unable to start

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
colin.P
MGF Register Region: South Coast

1999 MGf 1.8vvc Unable to start

Post by colin.P » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:27 pm

I am new to this forum and wonder if anyone can help please. My MGf 1.8vvc was running very rich and difficult to drive,when switched off it would not start again until cold. 2 local garages have carried out diagnostic tests on the car , number 1 garage said the vvc mechanism was stuck but did not want to carry out a repair. I had another mechanic check the vvc and timing ,all ok. Number 2 garage found a plug lead breaking down, causing an intermitent misfire which they said was causing the over fuelling but again were not keen to take on the job.
I Have since replaced the ignition leads, but still ran very rough & rich. Having looked on various forums for info I have since checked all sensors,wiring etc and today removed the TPS sensor cleaned connections and refitted, now car will not start at all. If anyone can advise it would be much appreciated. Colin.P

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: 1999 MGf 1.8vvc Unable to start

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:18 pm

If the car has been running really rich then the plugs have probably failed due to excessive carbon deposits. Take them out & clean them and check that they are all sparking. If not, replace. Your problem may be related to the temperature sensor (the one that talks to the ECU) which will make the car run in cold start mode.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:47 pm

First, welcome to the forum Colin! :D

Second, sorry to hear that your local mechanics are being so unhelpful. :(

This could be a number of things - and the risk at this stage is that you start replacing things without really getting to the route cause of the problem - which probably dates back to that time when the car wasn't running properly.

Can you describe the problem in more detail? Over-fuelling on the K-series is most frequently attributed to the ECU's water temperature sender, or a problem with the Lambda sensor.

Colin, what year is your MGF?

hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Post by hammond » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Rob Bell wrote: Colin, what year is your MGF?
Don't want to point out the obvious but I think the answer may lay in the thread title :lol: