Hood problem - can't fit tonneau

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Jim Martin
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135

Hood problem - can't fit tonneau

Post by Jim Martin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:03 pm

When I bought my TF in Feb, I didn't really notice that the hood wasn't sitting low enough to fit the tonneau cover.

Does anyone know whether it's an original MG hood or aftermarket? And if there's a solution?

The main problem seems to be there's only a small amount of material between the bottom of the screen and the edge of the hood which causes the window to sit at an angle rather than flat against the parcel shelf (or whatever you want to call it).

This means the metal bars rest on the glass and it can't go down any further than you see in the photos. Or at least that's my diagnosis of what's going on.

In any case, the hood partially obscures the view out of the rear which is the biggest annoyance. Before anyone asks, I can't unzip the window section because, although there is a zip, there's no zip slider thing on it: it's just crimped at both ends to keep it shut. That's pretty odd.

Image[/URL]

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Hood problem - can't fit tonneau

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:58 pm

I can't quite see in the photos, but haven't you got the wind stop folded down? If this is the case it will stop the roof sitting in the parcel shelf area.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:39 pm

If you've got an OE wind stop you should leave it vertical and just fold the roof - the glass screen will then sit flat on the parcel shelf.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:33 pm

I can confirm its not an original MG rear screen as those are curved along the bottom edge to allow it to sit flat in the hood well.

For comparison, this is an original screen:-
Attachments
TG3A9151.jpg

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:25 pm

On mine you have to fold the hood down first past the upright windbreak then fold the w/break down on top of it.

Firstly I think I'd take the w/break off, it's only a couple of screws, and see how it affects the hood. I agree the glass looks slightly different but imo it appears to be the right sort of size to fit in the hood recess.

Hope this helps.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Surely you want the windbreak UP when the roof is down.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:41 pm

...which reinforces the idea of folding the hood down past the upright w/b first so you can then have the choice of w/b up or down. Likewise when pulling the hood back up the w/b needs to be upright since it lays flat on the hood in the down position. I find some days it's good for it to be down, too...

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm

ArntyR wrote:...which reinforces the idea of folding the hood down past the upright w/b first so you can then have the choice of w/b up or down. Likewise when pulling the hood back up the w/b needs to be upright since it lays flat on the hood in the down position. I find some days it's good for it to be down, too...
And for a better view when reversing! :thumbsu:

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Just as an aside - there is a regular problem with older hoods when the elastics start to age, preventing the second rail from folding back properly and locking the mechanism. I have checked my hood, which is a Mk1 with an MGF Mania glass rear screen. When folded the glass does NOT sit flat on the parcel shelf but nevertheless the whole lot goes flat enough to fit the tonneau (later type). Rearwards visibility is not compromised in any way so there must be a problem with your hood itself. I doubt it's just the glass screen. Are you SURE the second rail is going all the way to the rear as you fold the roof AND that none of the canvas is trapped in the framework?

Here: Image

Having had a look at mine and your photos there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the way the frame has folded. The top rails don't sit flat on the T bar unless you press down really hard and when you fit the tonneau it will pull down on everything.

Mine folded: Image

However. When you compare the two photos you'll see that your roof seems to have an extra fold in it. That might be blocking things although I can't be sure. My roof is a Mk1 and yours is a Mk2 and I'm not familiar with the differences but it seems that yours is folding underneath the 2nd rail and that might be the source of your problem.

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Pop along to one of the SE meets and someone will take a look at the roof for you.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
members@mgfregister.org

Jim Martin
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Jim Martin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:03 am

Thanks all.

I should have mentioned that the wind stop was removed in these photos!

I'll take a video asap as this will help to show how it folds down.

I couldn't see an obvious problem in how the fabric folds between the rails and there's no real alternative anyway.

As you say, Nigel, getting along to a meet would probably be the best thing.

MGFMania
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by MGFMania » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:18 pm

You have an aftermarket BAS hood, plastic strips above the side windows and oblong glass window, this MAY not fold low enough to fit your tonneau?

Certainly all original hoods with plastic screens or MGFMania glass screens do!

ianhunter

Post by ianhunter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm

I have got a BAS hood and mine fits perfectly. Try medium pressure with your hand centrally and it should go down.
TF 160 'oggy of the ampshire ogs' / ZR 160 (sadly now deceased) hooray now resurrected by Dave at Church Square Autos.

Richard A
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MG TF 135 (2011)

Post by Richard A » Mon May 17, 2021 2:45 pm

Jim, did you ever resolve this problem of the hood frame being too bulky or 'Stuck up' to fit the tonneau. I have had exactly the same problem with all the usual advice on how to fold a hood etc etc but I suspect it is something to do with additional rear webs to support weight of glass in some hoods.

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Mon May 17, 2021 9:07 pm

Richard, I presume that the soft top is the original soft top? We fitted a replacement hood on our Trophy with a zip out rear window and this doesn't lie flat unless I unzip it.
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org

Richard A

Post by Richard A » Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 pm

Thanks for responding. I do not know if the hood is original. It is not a zip out rear window. I think the car is one of the last 20 or so made, so maybe they were getting hoods from aftermarket suppliers. The glass touches the bottom of the hood well at the back by the boot but is proud of the surface by a couple of inches at the front towards the T-bar.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue May 18, 2021 9:14 am

Richard A. Like yours mine's one of the last-built TFs, first reg 29/06/10.

(They were produced after the LE500, had no wind-stop or hard top, polystyrene boxes instead of spare wheels, silver centre-console, black leather, 'gold' gear-knob, 'Twist of Pepper' wheels and EU4 compliant mirrors without the black rubbery bits; I heard someone call them 'TF 135 Style' (?))

I'm fairly certain my hood's original so I've sent some comparison pics. You'll notice it tends to dive downwards towards the front and the glass lays flat in the hood well. My tonneau cover is a fairly snug fit; it's also an 'MGMotors' manufacture - slightly different to the '02 F and '05 TF that I previously owned (like the T bar build, too...) The window isn't 'zip-out', either, and is strengthened by black vertical straps either side.

Hope this helps; there's not that many around and they have a few differences... :?
Attachments
_DSF3554.jpg
_DSF3551.jpg

Richard A

Post by Richard A » Sun May 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Here is equivalent photo of my hood folded. Similar but I suspect your hood is lying flatter. At least it does not leak when up!
Attachments
IMG_0902.JPG

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sun May 23, 2021 10:09 pm

_DSF3564.jpg

Richard A and Jim Martin, if you look down on your hood (this pic is driver's side) you'll see a horizontal circular rivet in the frame - mine's in the middle of the pic.

As you lift the back of the lowered hood upwards the frame slides past this by means of an elongated hole. My pic shows the hood slightly raised and you can see a circular bare metal bit where it has slid/moved towards the top right corner. When fully down the bare bit's fully covered and becomes hidden by the black rivet. (Hard to describe but much more obvious when it's in front of you as you raise the hood...)

A few weeks ago I found mine was a little tight on the passenger side and I used penetrating oil to free it. (In fact you've just encouraged me to pop out to the garage and add a couple of drops of lube to mine 8-))

Why not check to see if yours are free to slide properly? - If they aren't it could stop your hood from lowering properly...

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Mon May 24, 2021 10:45 am

Oh...and here's the shape of the rear glass (hood's saggy, not fixed at the front...) I'm fairly certain the hood's original.
Attachments
_DSF3566.jpg