MGF gearbox cross member

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
apiebyanyothername
MGF Register Region: Europe

MGF gearbox cross member

Post by apiebyanyothername » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Ho hum,
just had the car up on the ramps before its MOT ( every two years in France ) and the gearbox crossmember ( or
londitudinal member rear subrame LH according Rimmer) is badly corroded at the bottom flange. I have the horrible feeling its going to fail. There appears to be two ref numbers for this part KHL 100170 for mark 1s and KHL 100190
for later mark 2s. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? Not that at the moment it makes much odds as I can't find a new or secondhand one for love or money. Has anyone changed one rescently, is it as easy as it appears or a right B*****?
Cordialement TP

john_g
MGF Register Region: South East

Re: MGF gearbox cross member

Post by john_g » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:53 pm

Apie. maybe it look worse than it is? get a wire brush on, make a judgement and cover in underseal?

apiebyanyothername

Post by apiebyanyothername » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:01 am

Great minds think alike - wire brushed, rust treated, painted and undersealed, given that it lives in a garage and hasn't been out in winter since its last MOT, I find it hard to believe that its much worse than it was at its last MOT and it got through that OK. Perhaps the great god of old MGs will be kind. Still need a replacement cross member though - I've tried UK, Germany, Belgium and France - not a sausage! Could try AUS & NZ I suppose.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:41 am

Try these guys

http://triumphroverspares.com.au/

They worked a miracle with my headlights.

apiebyanyothername

Post by apiebyanyothername » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:34 am

Many thanks, I've sent them an e mail -heres hoping

apiebyanyothername

Post by apiebyanyothername » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:05 am

Managed to find one in the end - Its now sitting in the garage on the shelf. The car sailed through the MOT with no problems!!!!!!!

robs12
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by robs12 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:53 pm

I could see mine was very rotten before last MOT (UK). There are normally a few s/h on ebay, I got one, chucked it in the boot in case and the garage fitted it when it failed....I think a quick job if you've got the kit to undo/cut/drill the bolts. Maybe not so easy DIY.