Knob Issues

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Knob Issues

Post by ZSx » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:50 am

So when I first got the MGF I decided to give it the once over, I found a huge laceration in the side of my knob, it goes the entire length of the shaft and is so deep you can see right to the core!
18318300_10155192231476763_756744408_o.jpg
It was still usable, well until today when it snapped in half! I have a new knob in the paintshop waiting some artwork... but looks like I need to speed that process up and fit it to the car sooner rather than later now! - No pictures at the moment of my broken knob as its only just happened and no camera to hand.

Also, on the subject of Knobs, my middle knob in the heater controls has snapped the shaft and, even with a gorilla repair it has failed again. I am thinking that I should get alloy knobs to replace them and possibly chase the wires behind and see if they are snagging. Are there any normal areas to look at?

On the subject of heater, my fan control was only working on numbers 3 & 4, I happened to have a RezPack laying around and soldered this in place of the original resistor coils, all appears to be working fine on this front again now. Is this a weak area on the MGF? I know it can be on early ZS's...

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: Knob Issues

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 pm

I can't think of anything worse than having a problem with your knob...

It is possible to shorten the gear lever by cutting off the threaded portion and cutting a new thread on the bit left over.

Heater resistor problem is a regular one. Easy to fix as long as there's no air-con.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:59 pm

ZSx wrote:On the subject of heater, my fan control was only working on numbers 3 & 4, I happened to have a RezPack laying around and soldered this in place of the original resistor coils, all appears to be working fine on this front again now. Is this a weak area on the MGF? I know it can be on early ZS's...
Common on the F and the ZR as well.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:39 pm

So, new gear knob is awaiting Lacquer still, hopefully today. As said the resistors are fixed and I have put an order in for alloy heater knobs.

While there I changed the radio to a Mechless one, with USB and BlueTooth functions. Cost £21, its cheap plasticy feel and no weight... but works and I can listen to music again without issues :) I also re-routed the red cable through the center console to hide it and while there made the drivers window one shot down.