siezed AP front brake pins

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
on the knoll
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Trophy

siezed AP front brake pins

Post by on the knoll » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi all,
Just spent the day trying to drift out one of the slider pins, bent the drift and eventually snapped it, it appears the pin is stuck fast on the far side of the callipers as when I removed the unit off the hub it looks like the pin has a slight bend in the middle now. I am leaving it in soak with wd overnight to have another pop at it tomorrow, any idea's would be welcomed for tomorrows encounter drilling is a last resort as the drill tends to migrate to the sides with such a small diameter
:?

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: siezed AP front brake pins

Post by daz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm

I had exactly the same problem with mine. Spent days hammering & drilling. It didn't move at all. I ended up nipping into a machine shop & for the price of a packet of biscuits they removed it in less than 5 minutes.

You need to use plus gas or similar not wd40.

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi Daz, I will give it another go tomorrow if it fails will take your advice and get it pressed out
Ta

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:30 pm

hi, if anybody is interested I removed the calliper off the car, centre punched the domed end of the pin and very carefully drilled down the pin starting with a sharp 1mm drill gradually increasing the size until the head came off, i then cut a section out of the centre of the pin, this enabled me to drift out the recessed section of the pin towards the centre then drift out the other end also towards the centre this left the seized "collet" in the calliper, once all the pin was removed the seized collet easily drifted out, i then cleaned out the holes and reassembled with Mike Saturs replacement pins needless to say with a good amount of anti seize grease on. my advice to anybody having the same trouble is if the pin does not drift out easily at first then remove the calliper it will save you a lot of time in the long run and less contemplating what idiot put the pins back in with no grease . Test drove the car with a grin like a Cheshire cat.