MGF Headlights

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

MGF Headlights

Post by ZSx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:13 am

I have done some research on the shocking ability of my headlights, on my P reg MGF, and come to the conclusion there is effectively three options.

1. Get the bowls re-chromed
2. Fit projector lights into the units
3. Buy whole new units

As I see it, option 1 is fine if the rest of the unit is clean and not tarnished (glass etc) although can be expensive depending where you go. Coupled with the fact it takes a long time and the car would be off the road for a few weeks while the job is completed. - Means this option is a no go at the current time.

Option 2 seems to be only an HID option? And I am not sure on the legalities (MOT passes etc aside) of this conversion.

Option 3 I assume is going to be very difficult to find brand new, and there is no guarantee that any older unit will be better than what I currently have.

So... Does anyone have any idea on a projector unit that takes standard H7 bulbs and can be fitted to the current MGF headlights? I don't particularly want to go down the after market HID route if I can help it, but I need to be able to see at night!

Of course a fourth option could be to "TF" the front end... although this seems expensive and excessive to do, especially when I like the F looks...

The F is being used daily at the moment for my commute, since SWMBO decided to crash the ZS and then "forgot" to put oil in her Coupe causing the engine to fail spectacularly. This does mean at the moment the only real transport is the F and with two kids you can imagine its a bit difficult a task... however we are in the holidays and till the ZS is fixed, the F gets me to and from work but night-time driving is a necessity sometimes and I would like to be able to see properly in these situations!

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: MGF Headlights

Post by Keith Williams » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:49 am

Could be worth checking with Martin Smith http://www.usedmgtfspares.co.uk/ as he carries both good quality 2nd hand parts and new items

If you wish to go down the brand new route, Rimmer Brothers, are showing some in stock https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID018948
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

campbosshassi
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by campbosshassi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:36 pm

As a start new bulbs, Phillips extreme or the osram night breaker you will see a big improvement

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm

They are Osram Night Breakers in there at the moment, the problem is that the bowls are cloudy and yellow and obviously the chrome will fall off if you try to clean them...

jaapaap1111
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by jaapaap1111 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:27 pm

For option 1 i remember there was a trade in service so you only are of the road for a couple of days. I dunno if the service still exists... i have gone for option 2 but Dutch legislation is quite tolerant on this. As long as your beam pattern is ok you're good.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:20 pm

We had this problem last year when my MOT Man told me not to bring those headlights back next time.
New lights were NLA with availability from X-Part in August, December and then they failed their March delivery. I gave up and bought a good useable pair from College Motors and fitted them over the May holiday. 3 days later X-Part Certified Taiwanese lights became available. I elected to again remove the bumper and fit the new lights.
I have pairs of repairable and "Good for a few MOTs" in the garage for which I may accept offers.
Geoff.F

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 am

Hi Geoff,

I feel your pain as I have the same problem but only in one side.

Option 4 is to source suitable replacements 2nd hand. These may keep you going for a few MOT's until you get a
more permanent solution, or get your current ones rechromed, then do a one weekend swapover.

Whatever you choose, you will get good at the replacement procedure.

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:51 am

I'm sure Martin Smith had some new F headlights on his stall at Pateley Bridge the other week around £100 new??
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!