MgF Bonnet Switch Wiring - FIXED

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
NapalmNick
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: MgF Bonnet Switch Wiring

Post by NapalmNick » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Johnc.gif
Well I have seen the light (literally - the courtesy light) :)

I couldn't leave it (I would never sleep soundly) so kept unwrapping down towards the front of car and guess what I found - a corroded connector wrapped up into the loom with a black/purple wire attached. Cleaned it up and connected it to the (already refurbished) switch and hey presto courtesy light working. Goes off with a press of the plunger button.

So locked up the car, popped the boot and released the bonnet and twin blaring alarm sirens!

Thinking luck had arrived in spades, I did the alarm test procedure again and yep flashing light when bonnet opened, doors and motion sensor. Then I really pushed my luck and tried the boot again and can confirm the key lock (Boot key switch not latch switch) caused the test flash to work correctly.

So, the only niggle left in my mind is why it was disconnected at the bonnet - maybe just to stop the bonnet courtesy light working ( I checked it goes off when the lid is down) or maybe it was corrosion causing a spurious alarm or battery drain, or something else we may ever know. But wrapping it up in the loom didn't seem the right decision whatever. Of course I will have to monitor this over the coming weeks but I think its pretty healthy now. I have a monitor on the battery which will tell me if there is any excessive current drain whilst locked up.

Little else to say except the speeches. I would like to thank my parents for having me, my wife for putting up with me, but most of all the guys and gals here who listened to me and helped me.

Thank you very much. :thumbsu:

(now getting insulation tape out to re-wrap everything).

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Re: MgF Bonnet Switch Wiring - FIXED

Post by Roverlike » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:05 pm

I saw your new post and picture over the luch brake and I prepared some poctures to point you into right direction. But, now I see that you managed to resolve things by yourself, which is great.

However, I decided to post these pictures for future reference, because John's picture might be pointing into wrong conclusion. Wire from the bonnet switch is not passing through another grommet into car's body, but enters the loom under bonnet. Actualy all the wiring are the same, and wires must be in same wrap/loom.

Because of that I am giving this first picture to see where black/purple trace wire enters loom - see yellow circle:
Bonnet 1.jpg
On John's picture that wire enters loom in same spot - yellow circle. I added yellow line to point wherw wire passes on the picture.
Bonnet 2.jpg
This third picture I prepared for you, to tell you that you should look either in place of red circle,where somebody might brake that wire or along the loom which you did and found it taped with connector.
Bonnet 3.jpg

NapalmNick

Post by NapalmNick » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Yea Roverlike that is excellent clarity with those pictures, markings and explanation. It should help other browsers with similar problems very much.

Thanks again.

John SS
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Re: MgF Bonnet Switch Wiring

Post by John SS » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:09 pm

NapalmNick wrote:The main thing is that on Johns the wire doesn't seem to be entering the main loom but goes through another grommet
Sorry, looking at the photo again it is a bit misleading . The switch wire actually joins the main loom in the foreground as Roverlike said in his post.
Glad that you have it sorted. Electrical problems can be the most frustrating and satisfying to solve!

NapalmNick

Post by NapalmNick » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Agreed i was buzzing! Lol. Thanks John.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:33 am

My car had both the bonnet and boot lights disabled when it arrived. I think in the past when someone has trouble leaving the lights on
a helpful friend disables the lights. In my case all they did was remove the bulbs, much less damaging than your case.