Complete coolant hose relpacement

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Complete coolant hose relpacement

Post by RobboMC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 am

As each of our 'family' cars has got to over 15 years old it has come time to replace all of the coolant hoses as a SET.
I am now launching into our Toyota Prado as it has turned 16. Fortunately it only has 6 pieces of rubber hose in the system.
( radiator In/Out, heater valve In/out and heater core In/Out )

So the idea crosses my mind that perhaps a 18 year old MGF should also get the same treatment.
The theory is that you are financially better off in the long run by replacing everything at once rather than waiting
for disaster to strike on the open road and ending up with a blown head gasket or worse. And with the issues of bleeding an F
if a hose were to be replaced roadside it's possibly going to save a lot of aggravation.

When I raised the subject with the locals here they rolled their eyes replying that it's possible but would cost a lot of money.
My view is that is will also save a lot of money.

Does anyone else have similar thoughts or has anyone bitten the financial bullet and done the full hose replacement job?
I expect I will do it with the next water pump.timing belt service due about 2 years away. I know it won't be a low cost event.

Parazine
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Re: Complete coolant hose relpacement

Post by Parazine » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:33 pm

I had to do this when I rebuilt the engine after it had sat with a failed head gasket for 18 months. The emulsion inside the hoses had rotted them so that even after I had cleaned each one with a washer dragged through it, attached to a welding rod and then washed and mopped them, the rubber was rotten and split as soon as the engine developed water pressure. The only hoses I didn't replace were the heater hoses; the ones up in the cabin by the matrix seemed OK and I couldn't work out how to reach the rear ones that pass through into the engine compartment. I ran the engine with Bardahl oil cleaner then changed the coolant twice, now it is nice and bright clean. 18 months and no coolant leakage. It was expensive but I guess I had no choice.......

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Over the past 9 years of owning my 1997 'F' I have experienced two coolant pipe failures, both engine bay ones connecting to the underfloor pipes. All the others are (as far as I can tell) originals, judging by the 'use once' Rover hose clamps still present. Replacing a whole set will be an expensive exercice so it depends on how deep your pockets are. My car is fitted with a coolant alarm and I always carry bits & bobs sufficient to affect a temporary repair should the need arise. I am a firm believer in the adage "if it aint broke don't mend it", mind you I am tighter than a submarine's window...

Not used them myself but there are silicone pipes available (at even more beer tokens)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 pm

You used to be able to get a kit of silicon hoses, IIRC it was designed for the TF VVC.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Roose motorsport have a kit for the TF135 at £249 or £329 for the 160, both on eBay.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:33 pm

They also do a set for the front, again on eBay.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Or available from www.roosemotosport.co.uk for the same price.

The big question is which colour.

Swampy
Model of Car: 1998 MGF VVC

Post by Swampy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Robbo, in the least few months I did a full replacement of the coolant pipes in may car (helped by your photos of the rusted under floor pipe). Cheapest price was Rimmers, even though it was still exxy. Many of the pipes come with the clamps attached, so unless you want to replace everything with worm-drive clamps they are ready to go. Replace the spring drive clamps under the car with worm drives though.

Avoid the aftermarket metal pipework that runs behind the engine to the water intel as mine was absolute JUNK! After several TIG welds & boosting of the thermostat housing, it fitted and water didn't come out.

Final bonus is that the Aussie $$ is good against the pound at the moment! Majority of my 1998 pipes were still ok, but some were completely stuffed, so worth doing.

EDIT: Make sure you replace the "engine coolant outlet elbow" when you replace the pipes. It will most likely be corroded. I didn't order one initially & had to do a dodgy fix until I was able to order & install it.
Green 1998 MGF VVC road/track car (Green machine)
Blue 1998 MGF VVC garden ornament (to be a track car - Smurfette)

RobboMC
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 am

Swampy wrote: Many of the pipes come with the clamps attached, so unless you want to replace everything with worm-drive clamps they are ready to go. Replace the spring drive clamps under the car with worm drives though.

i do not use anything except worm drive clamps, on any of my cars. Not worth the risk for a few extra dollars IMHO.