Hydraulic tappets cleaned now won't start (update)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
The old one
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 1.8 l

Hydraulic tappets cleaned now won't start (update)

Post by The old one » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi all,
Had a noisy tappet so decided to give them a clean, timed the engine removed the cam wheels cam ladder and cams. Cleaned the tappets found two suspect one's so changed, refilled buckets with clean oil and put back.
Replaced camshafts inlet cam dowel into inlet slot on wheel and exhaust cam dowel into exhaust slot on wheel pulled engine round two revolutions all ok, turns over on key but refuses to start. I know I've done something wrong but I can't think what it is?
Any help would be welcomed
Steve
Last edited by The old one on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: Hydraulic tappets cleaned now won't start

Post by RobboMC » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:32 am

Does your engine have a distributor or is it a MEMS3 with a cam angle sensor.

I'm guessing you haven't plugged something back in, or maybe it looks like it's plugged in but isn't.

Did you use the proper sealant on the cam ladder?

The old one

Post by The old one » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:55 am

Mens 1.9 with dizzy cap, used the correct sealant on ladder, I had the plug caps marked before they were removed so went back in the correct order. Now going through all the electric connections incase I moved something without noticing, will let you know how get on.
Thanks for the reply
Steve

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:50 am

Did you correctly position the camshaft pegs in the correct slots in their respective cam pulleys?

[The inlet cam peg and inlet cam pulley slot should both be at 4 o'clock and exhaust peg and cam pulley slot at 8 o'clock. With those in the right positions set the camshaft alignment lines and lock with the locking tool. You then fit the cam belt having ensured the crank is in the correct position also. I'd cut and post a diagram from the 'K-Series' manual, but can't remember how to do it!..old age getting the better of me! :roll: ]

The old one

Post by The old one » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks Tipper,
That could be the problem, I'll look tomorrow and check if it ever stops raining and let you know. :thumbsu:

The old one

Post by The old one » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:16 pm

Just a quick update, removed belt to double check position of cam dowels, seems OK have attached image of wheels removed locking tool to take picture crank at 90 btdc the two tipex marks are where the dowels are behind the washers
Attachments
Image of cam wheels
Image of cam wheels

jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Screenshot 2015-01-15 16.54.37.png

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 am

My interpretation of the photo and the diagram suggest you've got it right.

The old one

Post by The old one » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks Jonaf for the diagram, thanks Tipper I thought I was going completely mad. Had the belt off again earlier just to check I've lost count how many times, I noticed a loose piece of insulation tape by the near side boot hinge. If you remember I posted a few weeks ago starter would not turn over while up in the Lake District. Peeled back and found 4 broken wires, Black/red tracer, purple/red tracer. Plain purple and last but not least a plain black. Now all soldered up and covered in heat shrink have not checked yet on wiring diagram where these went .Turned the key still no start, plugged in the p scan, no faults logged I'm now running out of ideas.
Steve
Attachments
Time to get the soldering iron out
Time to get the soldering iron out

jonaf

Post by jonaf » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:17 pm

You need correct timing, compression, fuel and spark. Does the fuel pump sound when you turn the ignition on? Is there spark at the plugs?
Last edited by jonaf on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The old one

Post by The old one » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi Jonaf,
Using the fob, you can unlock the doors, if you wait you can cancel the immobiliser, turn the key and the fuel pump pressures the system and there is a spark at the plugs, run out of ideas now, I don't like admitting defeat, but it might be towed to my local garage on Monday
Steve

jonaf

Post by jonaf » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:15 pm

Did you take a compression test?

The old one

Post by The old one » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:46 am

I'll try that tomorrow

The old one

Post by The old one » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Low compression, off too the garage in the morning.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:29 am

It's been a while but from dim memory the angles shown in the diagrams to set the pulley are only the INITIAL settings to bolt on the pulleys.

The exact timing spot for one of the cams, I think it's the exhaust one but not certain, is right up on the cam lobe and
it won't sit there. So I needed to make 2 steps:

1- apply the 4 o'clock - 8 o'clock rule and put the pulleys on

2- rotate the pulleys to the timing marks and hold there with the cam lock.

I hope this makes sense as a last ditch effort.

The old one

Post by The old one » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Thanks for that Robbomc, but went on the back of the recovery truck earlier. I think the problem was when I cleaned the buckets out, filled the pistons up with clean oil. I'm thinking if there was no movement in the tappets when I bolted the cam ladder down that would have pushed the valves slightly open, 2 revolutions on the crank and I felt nothing. What I am concerned about would the pistons in buckets expand further and push the valves into the pistons? Anyway when I hear or call in to have a look, I'll update, this is running longer than Coronation St
Thanks all will update as soon as I hear
Steve :cry:

candaer
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by candaer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:38 pm

If you have no or low compression then this is almost certainly due to the valves being forced open. It is not an unusual problem in rebuilt K series engines.
The trick is to restart the car by being towed. This usually restarts the engine. You then keep it running at approx 2000rpm and gradual ease off on the throttle - going back up to 2000rpm if it looks like stalling. This can take about 15mins. Once it ticks over without stalling the problem is cured.

The old one

Post by The old one » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks candaes, l'll bear that in mind, I heard from the garage earlier, when they turned it over they could here chuffing noise on the inlet / exhaust, so if that's the lifters holding the valves open or there bent and not closing I'm not sure.

The old one

Re: Hydraulic tappets cleaned now won't start update

Post by The old one » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Garage gave me a guesstimate of between £600-£800 to carry out work on head, I declined there offer so car now back home. Removed camshafts tonight so all valves should be closed, replaced spark plugs but found it fairly easy to turn over on the crank. Will put a straight edge across the head tomorrow and measure down to the top of the valve stems to see if any difference in measurements.

The old one

Re: Hydraulic tappets cleaned now won't start (update)

Post by The old one » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Finally have the engine running, took the camshafts off Friday evening and removed the tappets ready for Saturday. Put a straight edge across the head and measured from the bottom of the rule to the top of each valve stem and they were all the same. Removed all the pistons from the buckets emptied out the oil and reassembled. Refitted everything today, almost started but then died, last resort tow down the road behind wife's Micra and it started within 10 metres. Left it ticking over for about 5 minutes was still a little bit tapperty, took it for a run, about a mile now silent, if I had towed it last weekend as candaer suggested it would have saved a lot of work ( lessons learned ) :D