Hydragas Knuckle replacement

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Hydragas Knuckle replacement

Post by RSR92 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Hello, not a question or the like more just a bit of useful owner info for the future

I went to do the knuckle joint on my F the other week, got it all depressurised and whatnot and removed the old knuckle. I then tried putting he new one in and thought my god something is wrong here there's nowhere near enough room.

What in fact had happened is where the previous owner had not noticed or not cared about the knuckle not being attached to the lower arm anymore so much mud got underneath it and all compressed that what appeared to be the base of the hold inside the arm was in fact the old fulcrum and lower bit of plastic hidden inside the arm! A light tap or two with a hammer and screwdriver shook it loose and allowed me to remove and this replace the knuckle

Just worth nothing for any other F owners that the knuckles can fail when the plastic becomes brittle and allows the pin to force through the knuckle and displace the fulcrum!

Pictures below of various stages
Attachments
Old knuckle + fulcrum and the trusty hammer and screwdriver
Old knuckle + fulcrum and the trusty hammer and screwdriver
Fulcrum and old plastic now removed
Fulcrum and old plastic now removed
Fulcrum lodged in arm
Fulcrum lodged in arm
Broken next to replacement
Broken next to replacement
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: Hydragas Knuckle replacement

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the one on the left is NOT the same as the one on the right. It looks like a lowering pin... (even if the fulcrum is knackered)

By the way, the replacement knuckles from Mike Satur are engineered differently.

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Re: Hydragas Knuckle replacement

Post by RSR92 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 pm

I'll measure the old one I.e one on the left shortly but I believe the picture may be a little deceiving as the base of the pin is protruding from the bottom of the broken one - this would usually be pushed further up by the fulcrum hence why it looks shorter

Ah yes they were much more expensive though, I'm very much on a budget but the 2nd hand replacement OE part was perfectly serviceable
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent