Early MGF oil temp sensor (for gauge)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
jamescj
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF MkI (1995)

Early MGF oil temp sensor (for gauge)

Post by jamescj » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi everyone

I awn getting increasingly frustrated trying to source an Oil Temp sensor for my VERY early MGF. It is for the oil temp gauge and it is NOT the one with TWO terminal but just a single lug (I am assuming the ground is taken from the body of the sensor/mating with the engine). Does anyone know where I can get one of these sensors please?

I have an oil temp gauge that is playing up - shooting up and down with revs - I have checked wiring and changed gauges to no effect, so that only leaves the sensor to change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best

Christopher
Proud owner of Sep 1995 Amaranth MGF Mk 1 - #29 off the production line - used to belong to MG/Rover

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: Early MGF oil temp sensor (for gauge)

Post by Charless » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 pm

I am guessing from your description that when you accelerate the needle drops to zero then recovers after a moment - I had that for a while on a Jan '96 F before the sensor expired altogether. I didn't have any trouble replacing it ten years ago - obviously different now. Good Luck!

jamescj
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF MkI (1995)

Re: Early MGF oil temp sensor (for gauge)

Post by jamescj » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Charless wrote:I am guessing from your description that when you accelerate the needle drops to zero then recovers after a moment - I had that for a while on a Jan '96 F before the sensor expired altogether. I didn't have any trouble replacing it ten years ago - obviously different now. Good Luck!
Yes, something like that!

My MGF being so early (#29) it has certain peculiarities - like the speedo driver being in two pieces and not three(!) as well as some of the plugs (and hence the sensors) on the engine wiring loom are different. When I had the engine changed out after 106,000 miles to a younger (36,000 miles) TF engine, the mechanic had to change out a whole bunch of sensors from the "old" engine to the "new" in order to accommodate the wiring loom!

I am guessing this oil temp sensor would have been used in an earlier MG (such as the Metro?) but I have not been successful in finding one thus far!

Thanks for any pointers anyone!

Best

Christopher
Proud owner of Sep 1995 Amaranth MGF Mk 1 - #29 off the production line - used to belong to MG/Rover