New alternator

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

New alternator

Post by hammond » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Think I may have a faulty alternator. My battery was dead this morning so jump started it and drove car for over half an hour which normally is enough for a decent charge. Once stopped it wouldn't restart just a few minutes later until another I managed to get jump start. Then 20mins into second journey the battery light came on and whole instrument panel went dead bit by bit, was spooky. Had no power even for window wipers or indicators. Car eventually came to a halt. Called out RAC who said my battery was still flat so they stuck a new fully charged battery on for me and followed me home (He also said the output from alternator didn't seem high enough)
During that drive home the battery light stayed on all the time (although did seem to go out when I hit some large holes in the road)
Alternator? Or loose wire/earth?

Anyone know where I can pick up a new one (apart from Rimmers) and which one I need?

Car is a 2001 MGF Freestyle VVC.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - It actually looks like Rimmers price isn't too bad after having a quick look.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: New alternator

Post by colintf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:39 pm

AE Wilcox have them
Wickwar just north of Bristol
John Wilxox is the man :)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

hammond

Post by hammond » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:06 pm

Cheers, I'll give them a try

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Eurocarparts are good value if you buy online (and pick up from a local depot or home delivery) and use one of their discount codes. I last paid about £110.

hammond

Post by hammond » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Need some advice guys.
Just opened up engine hatch to check on alternator and belt and plug/wiring all looks fine. The battery light is on with engine running and alternator plugged in, but when I unplug it the light goes out. Surely it should stay on as there won't be any output?
Or does that mean the diode inside could be faulty?
Any help appreciated before I shell out for a new alternator

I'm just about to check voltage to battery whilst engine running and will report back.

EDIT-
voltage with engine off 12.56v
with engine running but alternator unplugged 12.02v
with alternator plugged in 11.96v

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 pm

On the subject of alternators, there were two types fitted, Magnetti Marelli and Bosch. They are not interchangeable because the electrical connections are different. Make sure you order the correct one for your car.

To Hammond, any decent auto electrician will be able to tell you whether the alternator is toast or not, but you'll have to remove it first. Given the inaccessibility, buy a new drive belt while you're at it, and give the 8mm adjuster screw a spray with plus gas (not WD40) before you start to loosen it.

hammond

Post by hammond » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks for the tips Mr Rat :thumbsu:

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:33 pm

When an alternator fails it fails internally so you wont see anything with an external examination.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Fourbears
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Fourbears » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am

Cheapest place I have found for an alternator and other parts (other than the Bay of E) is Carparts4less. They are the online version of ECP and give good service. A TF alternator from them is about £74 delivered. Delivery is quick but you can obviously pay for quicker delivery. I got an alternator belt and a set of Bosch wipers for my TF for £21 delivered.

Swampy
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1998 MGF VVC

Post by Swampy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:58 am

Quick test, with the engine running remove the positive battery terminal. If the engine dies, the alternator is toast. Try this before adding skin & blood samples to the engine bay.
Green 1998 MGF VVC road/track car (Green machine)
Blue 1998 MGF VVC garden ornament (to be a track car - Smurfette)