Alarm deactivation

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Fireline
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: Mk1 VVC

Alarm deactivation

Post by Fireline » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi all. Apologies for coming in begging on my first post! I have just bought a '97 F, and am going at the weekend to look at a '99 F to buy as a donor. Thing is, it is going to take me a long time to break the donor, and I have been told that there are problems with the alarm going off randomly on it. Is there a way to silence the alarm, (bearing in mind that the car won't see the road again, I don't mind how brutal!), and if so, how should I go about it?

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: Alarm deactivation

Post by daz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 pm

disconnect the battery & lock the car with the key?

Fireline

Post by Fireline » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:35 pm

daz wrote:disconnect the battery & lock the car with the key?
That'll do me nicely. I have to admit, I assumed the alarm would have a battery back-up, and would probably continue to go off..

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Disconnect the horns... Then no sound :)

Fireline

Post by Fireline » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:25 pm

I think I am having one of those lives...

We disconnected the horns. Bingo! No alarm. Unfortunately, we now seem to have no central locking, either. The driver's door has unlocked with the key, but the passenger door appears to be deadlocked. It doesn't help that the car's battery is dead. I did jump it from another car, but the door still refused to respond to the key or the fob. I have spoken to the previous owner, who told me that the fob had been working the locks fine, and indeed, when I viewed the car, the passenger door was wide open. Am I best to try re-linking the fob to the car, and having another go at it? I really don't want to bash the car to bits.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Where are you, want me to pop my www.pscan.eu on it if you are local?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Fireline

Post by Fireline » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. Fortunately, with a combination of some more electricity, and turning my remaining brain cell on, I have managed to get the central locking working.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:45 am

When travelling on ferries I lock the car with the key and not the fob. This deactivates the alarm. :thumbsu:

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Tipper wrote:When travelling on ferries I lock the car with the key and not the fob. This deactivates the alarm. :thumbsu:
IIRC it only deactivates the interior sensor?

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Fireline wrote:Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. Fortunately, with a combination of some more electricity, and turning my remaining brain cell on, I have managed to get the central locking working.

how?

Fireline

Post by Fireline » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Simply got a battery with a lot more punch to it, a new battery in the fob, and then hammered the buttons until it suddenly woke up. I knew that the battery in the car was dead, but I didn't stop and think that the one in the fob might be on it's last legs, too.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 pm

ZSx wrote:
Tipper wrote:When travelling on ferries I lock the car with the key and not the fob. This deactivates the alarm. :thumbsu:
IIRC it only deactivates the interior sensor?
I believe to get Thatcham certification the system should work as described by Tipper.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com