missing underbonnet relay?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

missing underbonnet relay?

Post by RobboMC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 am

I have this relay socket under the bonnet near the black fuse box without a relay.
underbonnet relay.jpg
It's on the passenger side near the power steering fuse.

What is the socket for? My car has a blanking connector plugged in. should I plug in a relay, and if so which one?

Is this the relay for the radiator fan? If not, what triggers the radiator fan?

Rimmers seem to list only relays for fog lights and heated rear window in this underbonnet area.

My car seems to run very cool with engine oil temp never getting much above 95 and the radiator fan seems to run a lot.

I have an Australian sold 1999 MPi MEMS 1.9 with air conditioning and no heated rear window.

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Re: missing underbonnet relay?

Post by mowog73 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:41 pm

That's where the fan relay would be if you didn't have aircon. When aircon is installed, a shorting link is needed to jump between two wires in that particular relay block.
rad fan relay without aircon
rad fan relay without aircon
shorting link for a/c with rad fan relay removed
shorting link for a/c with rad fan relay removed
Mark

RobboMC
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 am

Great, thanks. I'll leave it alone.

So in an air-conditioned car what triggers the radiator fan, the ECU?

Swampy
Model of Car: 1998 MGF VVC

Post by Swampy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:54 am

Robbo, with a/c cars, if the a/c is turned on, the fans run constantly (OR as a minimum one of them - possibly the rh one). If a/c isn't working, the fan starts as normal when the engine sensor says it needs to run. My car has the same relay connector as your except it has some tape over it, probably to keep dust etc. out.
Green 1998 MGF VVC road/track car (Green machine)
Blue 1998 MGF VVC garden ornament (to be a track car - Smurfette)