Oil Seals

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
wigley
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Oil Seals

Post by wigley » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:13 am

Hi all
I recently bought a second MGF with 30,000 miles on the clock, immaculate outside and in but not so good underneath.

Driving back from England to France, where I live, towards the end the journey I noticed the oil temperature was quite a bit higher than it should be. Water OK. The following morning I looked in the expansion tank and what I found was what looked like rad weld set solid in the bottom. The tank was empty. (temperature of water normal) I also noticed that the water pump was leaking; the chassis was corroded.

With engine out to sort out the subframe I took off the head to fit new had gasket and surprise, surprise all waterways around the liners, on the head were blocked solid with this ?radweld? I wasted half a day with bits of wire, screw drivers and airlines to remove all this radweld. Head gasket all done I decided to check the clutch plate, that was down to the rivets. All found differential seals leaking. I had a long chat with Rimmers Tech. man - my Mark1 MGF should have rubber oil seals. Mine had metal oil seals. There is no sign of a gear box change. I get the impression this car was used for track days!!. Has anyone come across these problems?
I await some interesting replies. Wigley

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: Oil Seals

Post by RobboMC » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:39 am

Look on the bright side, you found the clutch with the assembly already out of the car, lucky you!

My gearbox was totally trashed from excessive heat coming from the failing engine. Both 4th and 5th gear were shot ( the actual gears )
as well as the input shaft bearings.

I was lucky enough to find a good cluster set as good as new at a wrecker; and with a full bearing set including all seals we were able to put together a gearbox as good as new.

If I were you I would invest in getting an expert to open the gearbox and have a look inside. It's much easier and cheaper to do it now while the gearbox is on the floor and not in the car.

There are many threads on here about cars full of products like radweld. It's usually a bad deal I/m afraid.

wigley
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Re: Oil Seals

Post by wigley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Many thanks for that all of which I have taken on board . My other MGF of same year had a new head gasket fitted when I brought the car. The gasket failed . After a lot of cussing I had a tea break. After checking all documention I found the receipt. It had the wrong registration. Caught again....who can you trust?