Changing the radiator

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Changing the radiator

Post by hammond » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 pm

In the coming months I'm going to be fitting stainless steel pipes underneath the MGF so I thought I may as well change the radiator whilst I'm draining all the coolant (don't want the hassle of the bleeding process more than once!).
Does anyone know of any links where's there is instructions and pictures hopefully of how to change radiator? Will probably invest in an aluminium one.
Also probably should change all the rubber hoses and clips too. Is there a kit being sold anywhere with all these in or do I just have to pick the ones I want from Rimmers?
Cheers guys.

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: Changing the radiator

Post by daz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:47 pm

It's very simple, from memory:

Undo the 10mm bolts on the slam panel, reach down & disconnect the pipe from rad, lift rad out, swap fan onto new rad & refit everything. or if you're replacing the pipes just cut them off.

I bought all my pipes separately so can't help with a kit sorry.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:07 pm

I would opt for an aluminium radiator if you're in the UK - the OEM steel ones rust like b*ggery. I did replace mine with a steel one but I'm as tight as a submarine's window and the car never goes out in inclement weather.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:09 pm

There will be a guide in the how to section on http://www.the-t-bar.com

Roose do a pair of silicon hoses to replace the rubber ones but as they are not in the engine bay they don't seem to age as they do on a front engine car.

I got a ali rad from ECP last year for under £60.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

hammond

Post by hammond » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Use stainless steel worm drive clips when you replace the underfloor pipes and the rad. Give the bolts that locate the undertray a good soak with plus gas (not WD40) before you start to undo them. It's quite possible that you may have to resort to some metal bashing to straighten out any dents in the under tray once you've got it off (beware as it's quite heavy). Give it a coat of paint while you're at it. There are two fixing holes in the undertray which are slotted which will help you to slide the tray back into position - replace the two bolts for the slots so you can hang it while you get a couple of others in place. When you replace the bolts smear the threads with copaslip.

Just as a point of interest I replaced my underfloor pipes for a stainless set last year. The front radiator hoses although 20yrs old were still serviceable so I haven't replaced them. The engine bay pipes have already been changed. Give the inside of the hoses a very thin smear of silicone before you reassemble - it will make assembly easier & help to seal the joints.

Good luck, and be careful with the rad bleed nut. Don't shear it off!

hammond

Post by hammond » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks for the tip Mr Rat.

I actually took off undertray during the summer to straighten out and paint.